Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 1st time doing a starter  (Read 1601 times)

cptnpenguin

1st time doing a starter
« on: April 03, 2015, 08:17:37 am »
So I made a starter according to my homebrew stores instructions last night with WL's San Diego Super Yeast in a growler. I know after about 2 days I cool it to drop the yeast out and then pull off liquid and leave cake in there. 2 questions, A) how long can I leave the cake in the growler (refrigerated) after drawing off liquid? B) when I'm ready to pitch the cake does it really just easily pour out of growler or do I need to do something tricky to get it out?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: 1st time doing a starter
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 08:20:35 am »
If you are going to wait, you should also wait to decant. A week or two should be fine, but after that another starter would be ideal.

When decanting, you want to leave enough liquid above to thin out the slurry enough for it to pour easily. I aim for about 50/50 ratio. Some I know will decant the full amount and use wort from the new batch to swirl it up.

cptnpenguin

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 08:23:34 am »
Ah, that makes sense. I was wondering how I was going to get that out of there. Using new wort seems like a slightly unnecessary step that could potentially go wrong

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 09:39:35 am »
Ah, that makes sense. I was wondering how I was going to get that out of there. Using new wort seems like a slightly unnecessary step that could potentially go wrong

I decant as much liquid as I can and then add about quart of new wort when it gets cool enough to not kill the yeast.  I get it mixed up and let it sit until I've finished chilling the wort and taking samples and aerating.  Then when I add the starter it has had some time to get woken back up and ready to go. 

No idea if this is better worse than any other way but it works for me.\

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 12:58:14 pm »
In the best case scenario, after cold crashing your starter for 24-48 hrs you should be pitching it into your chilled wort.  Don't forget to allow it to warm up a bit out of the fridge, but ideally you want to pitch a few degrees colder yeast into your wort.  Sanitize the opening of the growler and carefully decant most of the wort except for a small amount that will help you swirl up the yeast cake into suspension.  Then resanitize (yes, I am anal) the opening again, and pour your yeast into your chilled wort. 

Nice job making a starter as that goes a long way for improving the quality of your beers...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 01:36:34 pm »
FWIW, I haven't found any reason for or benefit to, warming up the yeast before pitching.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 01:56:42 pm »
FWIW, I haven't found any reason for or benefit to, warming up the yeast before pitching.

+1
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 03:06:36 pm »
When I say "warm it up" I more or less meant that I pull out the whole starter and let it sit out while I am racking the chilled wort over to the fermenter.  So, I doubt it really warms up that much at all...but I do believe it is good practice to pitch cold yeast into chilled (yet warmer than the yeast) wort.