Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Next style?  (Read 1378 times)

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
Next style?
« on: April 06, 2015, 10:45:44 am »
I've spent the last year working on IPA recipe's either single, double, or black. I think I've finally gotten to the point where I feel like I can produce a decent quality IPA that I can happily share with others. I'm looking to move onto something more on the malty side of the flavor wheel. Hoping to get some ideas on a good style and maybe a good reference recipe I can use as a starting point towards crafting my own version.

I'm not really looking to do a porter or stout though. I prefer higher gravity beer, although nothing off the charts. Somewhere in the 1.080 range is my sweet spot. Just enough alcohol for a guy my size to not have chug 8 of them, but not so much that I can't enjoy a couple with friends over the period of an evening.

Anyways, I'm looking for some input on a good style to try next. I'm thinking wee heavy sounds interesting, but I can't remember ever having one. Are there any good reference examples folks can think of commercially that would be readily available on the west coast? I don't think I've seen any of the beers listed as references for wee heavy in the BJCP guidelines. Frankly I'm surprised Moylan's doesn't have a wee heavy. While the distributors in my area of California are certainly picking up their game, I'm just far enough out of the Sacto and Bay Area regions that we don't get very many limited/rare beers here.

I'd also love any thoughts on other styles (or just good recipes that don't fit a defined BJCP style) that are on the higher gravity and malty side but not so roasty toasty like porter's/stout's. I have very eclectic tastes, and really just appreciate quality above all else.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
Re: Next style?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 11:03:54 am »
As far as commercial examples of wee heavy check the guidelines for the strong scotch ale (9E). If you can get Founders Dirty Bastard it is quite delicious. For other styles to try you could check out Old Ale, English Barleywine, Belgian Dubbel, or Belgian Dark Strong.

Offline jtoots

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 11:07:41 am »
+1 for a Belgian Dubbel.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 11:11:43 am »
As far as commercial examples of wee heavy check the guidelines for the strong scotch ale (9E). If you can get Founders Dirty Bastard it is quite delicious. For other styles to try you could check out Old Ale, English Barleywine, Belgian Dubbel, or Belgian Dark Strong.

+1.  Also, if you do lagers, Helles, Standard, and Dopplebock are great choices for rich, malty beer.  I vote for a Dubbel. Strong and malty, but really drinkable.
Jon H.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 11:15:45 am »
+1 to the Belgian Dubbel. I brewed the recipe from Brewing Classic Styles and it was quite delicious.

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
    • The Brewins
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 12:12:43 pm »
I tend to enjoy Belgian beers in small doses. That yeast character grows thin on me real quick. I'll check out a few dubbels though. I might surprise myself on what I prefer though.
Joel Prater

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 12:15:21 pm »
hunt down traquair house if you are interested in the strong scotch ales. English barleywines are a favorit of mine in the strong and malty camp.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 12:38:20 pm »
Despite the name "bitter" an ESB is more balanced than hoppy and compared to American IPA's is much more malty. Also I make my porters so there is just a bit of roast, using modest amounts of roasted barley, light chocolate malt and no black malt.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 01:14:00 pm »
In addition to the wee heavies, Doppelbocks and Baltic porters are among my favorites in the malty and strong camp

Offline cascadesrunner

• Assistant Brewer
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 01:22:18 pm »
Oskar Blues version called Old Chub is one that is widely distributed.  While it is not my favorite but it walks on it's own and would meet your requirements.
Run then beer.

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
    • The Brewins
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 01:31:09 pm »
Thanks all for the input. I'll track a couple examples down in the next week or so and start working on a recipe, where I'm sure I'll be back for your feedback as soon as I have a draft put together.

Thanks again!
Joel Prater