Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: APA - what makes it great  (Read 5899 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: APA - what makes it great
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 02:17:33 pm »
Jonathan, I would like to know how you missed the score on the exam with that style.  Were your comments and descriptions different from the proctors' or what?

I assume so, I just got the summary test results. didn't see the proctors sheets or exam graders notes.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2015, 03:26:22 pm »
I don't know that I would chase after it, the score could likely just be some debatable difference of sense or opinion. But a journey to really know APA is a good one.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2015, 03:32:16 pm »
APA is not a session IPA. Then again is a session IPA just an APA? I am confused.

I say no. APA should have a BU:GU of ~ .7 -.8, where a session IPA (in my mind) should still have the IPA-like BU:GU of .9 - 1.1 ish, but with a shrunken down OG.
Jon H.

Offline brewday

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2015, 03:57:06 pm »
APA is not a session IPA. Then again is a session IPA just an APA? I am confused.

I say no. APA should have a BU:GU of ~ .7 -.8, where a session IPA (in my mind) should still have the IPA-like BU:GU of .9 - 1.1 ish, but with a shrunken down OG.

Exactly.  It's a matter of balance - A low gravity APA at the upper end of it's IBU range seems like good place to start a Session IPA.

For example:  1.045, 45 IBU

Offline mharding73

• Assistant Brewer
APA - what makes it great
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2015, 07:03:36 pm »
I think of a good APA malt forward with enough hop flavor to smooth it out.  Usually about 35 to 45 IBU.   It Doesn't bother me if the aroma is mild.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 07:27:58 pm by mharding73 »

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2015, 11:57:18 am »
Ironically, I find "session" IPA's less sessionable than regular Gravity IPA's. To me IPA bitterness/ hop flavor without malt backbone = don't want a second one. A good APA on the otherhand can be quite sessionable because there's just enough bitterness to mmake me want more.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2015, 12:03:31 pm »
Ironically, I find "session" IPA's less sessionable than regular Gravity IPA's. To me IPA bitterness/ hop flavor without malt backbone = don't want a second one. A good APA on the otherhand can be quite sessionable because there's just enough bitterness to mmake me want more.

Yep, I agree Pete.
Jon H.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2015, 01:03:19 pm »

Yep, I agree Pete.

Me, too.  I am having a Boulevard Pop-Up IPA right now and I think I'd rather be drinking a full strength IPA or an APA instead.  Too much "bite" for me.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2015, 03:43:23 pm »

Yep, I agree Pete.

Me, too.  I am having a Boulevard Pop-Up IPA right now and I think I'd rather be drinking a full strength IPA or an APA instead.  Too much "bite" for me.

Yeah. If you back off on hops you (more or less) have an APA. Leave the hops as is but bump up the malt and OG, you basically have an IPA. I read that Founders almost scrapped the 'session IPA' idea before they hit on the recipe they use for All Day IPA. Jury's still out on All Day for me - sometimes I like it, some times not as much.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 03:58:08 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2015, 04:10:41 pm »
Jury's not out for me. Hate it. I really wanted to like it and drink it at the lake. Just doesn't work for me. Too watery to make the hoppiness enjoyable. I think its a mess. After a couple more beers I'll tell you what I really think.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2015, 04:14:57 pm »
Jury's not out for me. Hate it. I really wanted to like it and drink it at the lake. Just doesn't work for me. Too watery to make the hoppiness enjoyable. I think its a mess. After a couple more beers I'll tell you what I really think.

;D 
Jon H.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2015, 05:08:42 pm »
What Jeff said. Emphasizing that to me an APA is a symphony not a solo performance and should exhibit balance and drinkability while still having an easily detectable hop flavor and aroma. I hesitate to say Americdan hop flavor and aroma as many good APAs are now using the newer Pacific varieties with great results too.
[/quote]

A little late to the party, I know, but for me it's all about balance, all the parts playing in perfect harmony. A symphony is a perfect metaphor for APA. Nice job!
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2015, 05:37:49 pm »
Maybe the symphony thing is why Jonathan is having trouble being where he wants to be judging this one. How hard is it to quantify something that's trying to be balanced?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2015, 06:11:36 pm »
I suspect that's a big part of it Pete. So it's become my go to beer when out and about and is going to make lots of appearances in my new schedule over the next year or so.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2015, 06:24:01 pm »
Where do Victory, Biscuit, and Special Roast fit in? Style guidelines say small amounts are appropriate in APA's and don't mention these malts in Amber Ales. But more often than not I get toasty and roasty flavors in commercial Ambers and not so often in APAs.