Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Germany trip wrapped up  (Read 2234 times)

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
Germany trip wrapped up
« on: April 05, 2015, 04:14:58 pm »
So I was in Germany for right at a month. What a trip it was and an experience that I would recommend for any beer enthusiast. Just wanted to give you guys a quick break down of my time there and I feel greatful for the people I met and some of the things I saw.

The first experience that I had was just outside of the Army post Grafenwhoer. Not exactly the ideal place to really experience Germany, but hey for a free trip I wasn't going to complain. All of the beer that we drank here was primarilly from Nurenburg and my gosh the Dunklewiezen was outstanding. The great thing about the Guest Houses is that most of all the food and beer was really cheap. Here is an example of a really basic lunch that I bought for 5 Euro.

My boss arranged for me to meet 7th Generation Head Brewer/Owner of Schlossbrauerei Hirschau. His name  is Franz Dorfner and this guy was amazing. He spoke very good English which was a plus and having toured many breweries in the states, this was unique. My boss had told him that I was a home brewer but it I don't think I asked questions that most people would ask. Besides that it was hands down the best tour I have been on and he has won many world wide awards. He took us through every nook and cranny of his operation and he moved with such speed for an old man! At the end of the tour he busted out 5 different samples and at 9 o'clock in the morning I drank about 3.5 liters of beer ( Nap took place right after the tour).

On our way from a trip to the Munich Airport we are on the A93 and I saw a sign for a Hop Museum!! Once I made it clear to my boss that he would not live to see the next day we stopped. It was 3 Euro to get in and everything is in German. No problem with that as you get the jist of the whole tour even with the language barrier. The tour pretty much starts with the beginning and modern aspects of Hop farming, Literature and Hop Art. Really cool place to spend an hour and there is a great Deli right across the street that sells great sandwich's and local brew.

No trip to Bavaria is complete without a good trip to Munich. We had all good intentions of getting into the Hofbrauhaus but no one told us that you had to have reservations. That place was packed so we walked over to the Augustiner brewery right across the street. Amazing experience and I forgot to take lots of pics as the food and beer was incredible. We spent the whole night in this part of Munich and I can't wait to go back.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 04:26:52 pm by jaftak22 »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Germany trip wrapped up
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 04:18:56 pm »
Great pictures !  Looks like you had a blast.
Jon H.

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 04:27:30 pm »
Thanks! Had to go back and fix one of the pics that I didn't upload properly.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 04:43:39 pm »
Must have been horrible to settle for fresh Augustiner! Lucky dog!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 05:06:39 pm »
That Augustiner is new, the main brewery proper is west of the main train station.

These is also an Ayinger tap across the square near the Hofbräuhaus. Looks to be an area that has a lot of beer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 05:14:58 pm »

That Augustiner is new, the main brewery proper is west of the main train station.

These is also an Ayinger tap across the square near the Hofbräuhaus. Looks to be an area
 that has a lot of beer.

Jim it was amazing, wish the pictures had taste-a-vision. There is so many beer establishments. My recommendation is to make reservations for wherever you go

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 05:18:57 pm »

These is also an Ayinger tap across the square near the Hofbräuhaus. Looks to be an area
 that has a lot of beer.

Jim it was amazing, wish the pictures had taste-a-vision. There is so many beer establishments. My recommendation is to make reservations for wherever you go

The reservation thing must be new or there is a possibility you were not at the beer hall entrance and at the restaurant entrance?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 07:44:47 am »
On the beer hall side and restaurant side it was just packed to the gills. The Hofbräuhaus was worse and the reservation suggestion was just to let you know. I asked some people and they said you can reserve tables in the beer halls as well as the restaurants.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 08:03:30 am »
On the beer hall side and restaurant side it was just packed to the gills. The Hofbräuhaus was worse and the reservation suggestion was just to let you know. I asked some people and they said you can reserve tables in the beer halls as well as the restaurants.
Was it a weekend evening? Come to think of it, the few times we stopped there it was mid afternoon. There is a little courtyard Biergarten that we have had a beer in if it was fairly crowded.

I much prefer some of the other places in and around Munich, to be honest.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline jaftak22

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 08:15:56 am »
It was a Friday night. It was a cool experience and I think I would go there again, with someone who hasn't. I also prefer breweries without as much foot traffic. 

My goal is to try and reproduce a Dunklewiezen like I had in Bamburg.  It was terrific, any tips at all?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 12:12:44 pm »
Now that is just the beer hall, The beer is brewed in a suburb. We did take some visitors there, and it was cool to see the expression on their faces.

There are some other very nice beer halls and biergartens if you ever go back.

No clue on the Dunleweizen.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild