Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sourcing ingredients post apocalypse  (Read 2016 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Sourcing ingredients post apocalypse
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 05:55:58 pm »
I've always thought that the malt would be the tough part. Barley isn't that hard to grow, but malting always seemed intimidating. Went to a Virginia distillery that makes there own malt, and found that it's really not all that difficult. I was shocked to see how simply it could be.

Honestly though, in a post SHTF world I'd make that malt into something stronger, and stick with cider or wine for a "common" drink.

As for the ammo, I'll save that. Venison will come by way of arrow, much less likely to attract attention that way.  ;)
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2015, 04:06:55 pm »

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 07:04:54 pm »
Cider, berry wine of all sorts. Corn might be hard to come by so corn whisky is probably out if it's a debilitating apocalypse. Thrown back into the neolithic in less than a generation. Beer's probably gonna be history as well. Ain't gonna be many bees left but they may make a comeback and if we're lucky honey will be available.

Stuff that grows on it's own will be your source.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 07:11:09 pm »
seems relevant.. 

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=77351

Lots of old names I remember on that post. Cappozoli, bo_gator, tankdeer, etc....

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 07:35:45 pm »
Weaze too...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis