Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Burner info is overwhelming!  (Read 1322 times)

Offline sbaryenbruch

• 1st Kit
Burner info is overwhelming!
« on: April 05, 2015, 06:47:15 pm »
OK, I can't buy a blichmann burner right now.

An sq14 or kb4 is within budget.  My largest pit is five gallons and I would be using the burner for extract (to get out out of the kitchen) and for small maple sap boils.

So, sq14, kb4 or something else?  I am confused.

I can make a sq14 wind shield easier than I can raise the burner on a kb4.

Thanks for the help!

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Burner info is overwhelming!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 07:20:15 pm »
I have the 14, and am delighted. I have used it with a keggle, boiling 14.5 gallons of wort, and it works like a champ. I also added legs to be able to gravity drain the keggle. These were made by cutting some steel fence posts to the right length, and bolting one to each corner of the SQ14. It won't win the sexy burner award, but it works.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 09:11:44 am »
For 5 gallon batches, the SQ14 should be fine.

Offline tonyccopeland

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 11:00:36 am »
For 5 gallon batches, the SQ14 should be fine.

+1 I have an SQ14 with 10 in HVAC duct based wind shield (even though 8 in is probably better), I generally get to boiling in about 30 minutes being conservative with the propane (5 batches from a standard propane tank.)
-Tony

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 07:17:31 pm »
Burer will work fine. 

I used SP10 (high pressure burner) for years and was happy with it.  I went to the blichmann style burner later and retrofitted it to my SP10 stands and ported for natural gas.  They are overkill a bit for 5 gallons, and the ones you are looking at will work great!

Long story is that there are lots of opinions, but short story, is they all work great for 5 gallons.  Most all work great up to 12 gallons, and some work good up to 15.... so if you are not doing larger than 10 gallon all grain batches... you will do great.

Enjoy!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline sbaryenbruch

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 08:11:38 pm »
Since, in the foreseeable future, the largest I will go is ten gallon I saved some cash and went with the sq14.  Will do simple duct wind screen and enjoy the new toy!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 06:13:27 am »
Since, in the foreseeable future, the largest I will go is ten gallon I saved some cash and went with the sq14.  Will do simple duct wind screen and enjoy the new toy!

it's a great burner, I used it to brew 11 gallon batches all the time without a wind screen and it did just fine. with one it should be great.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 10:31:51 am »
When do you foresee being able to afford a Blichmann? Or do you just not want to spend that much money? My point is that I purchased mine over three years ago and have had zero issues. It's built like a tank and I think it's one of my better homebrewing investments.

I don't always say this, but IMO, buy a Blichmann burner once and cry once.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 10:33:21 am »
When do you foresee being able to afford a Blichmann? Or do you just not want to spend that much money? My point is that I purchased mine over three years ago and have had zero issues. It's built like a tank and I think it's one of my better homebrewing investments.

I don't always say this, but IMO, buy a Blichmann burner once and cry once.
I love my SQ14, but Justin has a point. From what I hear, the propane savings can pay for the extra expense pretty fast.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 10:36:29 am »
Believe it or not, I am still using the first fill on the same 20 gallon propane tank I started with three years ago!  ;D

Offline sbaryenbruch

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2015, 05:18:13 pm »
Its not that I couldn't afford it....just couldn't justify the extra cash for a five gallon boil.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 05:24:42 pm »
I use a Camp Chef Explorer (two actually) and they work great up to ten gallons. Mine were about $100 and they are dual burners on a stand that holds two 14 gallon pots full.  Sturdy enough and I also mounted my pump to one of them.