Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop teabags in adjunct beers  (Read 1694 times)

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
Hop teabags in adjunct beers
« on: April 09, 2015, 02:58:38 pm »
I don't know if this has been discussed before or not but this seems (?) to be the most appropriate subforum.

Seems pretty easy to make at home.

http://www.foodandwine.com/fwx/drink/can-teabags-hops-save-you-crappy-light-beer

I do not often drink light beer willingly. I don’t want to wade into the debate of whether anyone should drink it, I just happen to dislike the taste. However, every once in a while at a wedding or a dive bar, I’ll have a bottle or two of something light. The experience is similarly watered down every time. But now a company wants to improve the light beer experience, and the process is as simple as making a cup of tea.

Hop Theory will sell sachets filled with hops, spices and citrus designed to infuse a pint the way you would a cup of tea. According to Hop Theory’s creator, the goal of the company is “to create a line of flavors that suit the taste buds of every living beer drinker.” That’s a lofty mission, especially considering how many excellent and unique beers are already on the market. But the idea isn't without a basis in actual brewing. The technique is actually similar to dry hopping (when hops or other ingredients are added after a beer’s fermentation), albeit on a much more condensed time scale.

Now let’s be clear, a dollar’s worth of hops in a teabag will not turn a can of pale lager into a 120 Minute IPA. But you could get a flavor and aroma boost in what is otherwise a mostly flavorless beer. And if you find yourself at a poorly stocked open bar, you might be glad you have a sachet in your pocket.

Hop Theory just recently began a Kickstarter that will run until May 9. You can find it here and purchase their first blend, which includes cascade hops, coriander and orange peel.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Hop teabags in adjunct beers
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 07:04:28 pm »
Kinda silly idea all around.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 07:11:49 pm »
Congratulations! You just turned a Busch Light into an All Day IPA! It now sucks in a different way and you spent more money. Did I say that out loud?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 07:35:43 pm »
Congratulations! You just turned a Busch Light into an All Day IPA! It now sucks in a different way and you spent more money. Did I say that out loud?

I didn't hear a thing!

Offline wmwadeii

• 1st Kit
    • Images Unplugged
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 08:21:32 pm »
While the theory of buying this to make bad beer better bad beer doesn't make sense, I did read on another forum of somebody who was doing something similar for hop profile purposes. Basically dry hopping with different varieties in lite beer so to get a idea of what each hop brings to the party.
Fermenter A: Lemondrop Hefe
Fermenter B: Empty
Bottles: Apple Hefe, La Petite Orange Blanche
Brew Total: 15

Untappd
YouTube

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 06:02:55 am »

Pretty funny.
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 06:47:54 am »
All I can imagine is the beer foaming up when you drop the tea-bag in. Then you gotta let it rest to extract the hop essence. So the beer will be flat and warm or if you put it in the fridge to stay cold there is a wait to drink it.

Sounds like another solution looking for a problem which is increasingly becoming more common as people try to cash in on their "bright ideas".

The only real solution is to avoid beer you don't like to drink. If you must absolutely have that insipid crap light lager then suffer in silence. It didn't have to be drunk.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2015, 07:38:19 am »
Sounds like another solution looking for a problem

Yep. Places serving only BMC nowadays are few and far between. Plus, I tried dosing Bud Light before with hops to eval them and, while it gave me a pretty good idea on aroma, the flavor in a watery beer was....not stellar.
Jon H.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2015, 08:11:35 am »
My girlfriends Dad is a light beer drinker. He likes the taste of good craft beer, he just can't drink more than a little. I once gave him a nice smoked porter I made when he helped me do some body work on my car. He put a couple tablespoons or so in each of his busch lights from his twelve make. Despite my horror at the time it actually seems like a better solution than the hops bags.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 08:45:35 am »
See that is "blending" and much more acceptable and worthwhile than some hop-tea bag.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis