Author Topic: First timer  (Read 540 times)

Offline scarecrow

  • Cellarman
  • **
  • Posts: 78
    • View Profile
First timer
« on: April 07, 2015, 03:55:28 AM »
I just did my first brew and transferred it from the Secondary to the Keg this weekend. I have been checking the pressure of the CO2 in the keg and it keeps dropping to I keep adding more pressure to keep it about 8 PSI. I have checked for leaks in my system and can't find any. My question:
Is it normal for the pressure to fluctuate the first day or two after adding CO@ to the Keg?

Offline Stevie

  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • *
  • Posts: 6858
    • View Profile
Re: First timer
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 03:58:41 AM »
It's likely that some of the gas is dissolving into the beer. Leave the gas connected unless you need it for something else. If you are disconnecting, hit it with about 30-40 psi once a day.

Offline scarecrow

  • Cellarman
  • **
  • Posts: 78
    • View Profile
Re: First timer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 04:08:03 AM »
Nope Ive been leaving it connected just adjusting the amount of pressure going into the Keg. I was told to let it sit till thursday before I try the brew though..I want it NOW....

Offline Stevie

  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • *
  • Posts: 6858
    • View Profile
Re: First timer
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 04:13:28 AM »
You got to let it sit. You can turn it up or shake it, but then you run the risk of over carbing. I normally hook mine up at 30 for a few days, turn down to 15, and serve. that gets me about 80% of the way there, the other 20% come over the next two weeks.

Offline JT

  • Senior Brewmaster
  • ******
  • Posts: 1418
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • View Profile
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: First timer
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 09:06:13 AM »
Nope Ive been leaving it connected just adjusting the amount of pressure going into the Keg. I was told to let it sit till thursday before I try the brew though..I want it NOW....
In that case, no it isn't normal.   Your regulator should be capable of holding a steady psi.

Offline scarecrow

  • Cellarman
  • **
  • Posts: 78
    • View Profile
Re: First timer
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 06:24:08 PM »
Nope Ive been leaving it connected just adjusting the amount of pressure going into the Keg. I was told to let it sit till thursday before I try the brew though..I want it NOW....
In that case, no it isn't normal.   Your regulator should be capable of holding a steady psi.

Got home from work and checked it this morning. It is holding pressure nice and steady at 10 PSI. I kept my CO2 outside the fridge instead of putting it inside the fridge. Whats the pros and cons to either method?

Offline euge

  • I must live here
  • **********
  • Posts: 8022
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
    • View Profile
Re: First timer
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 06:36:14 PM »
None. Except tidiness if you have room on the inside. Total tank psi will read lower when cold but means nothing.

Welcome to the forum!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Stevie

  • Official Poobah of No Life.
  • *
  • Posts: 6858
    • View Profile
Re: First timer
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 08:15:27 PM »
...Total tank psi will read lower when cold but means nothing.


This bit me on the butt enough times that I bought a second tank.