Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hop and grain bags cleaning  (Read 2512 times)

cptnpenguin

Hop and grain bags cleaning
« on: April 06, 2015, 11:41:08 pm »
What's the best way to clean the hop and grain bags? Used them for the first time yesterday. Rinsed and squeezed them out real well but didn't use soap/PBW/star san because wasn't fire about affect on material and soap is a pain to get out of stuff.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Hop and grain bags cleaning
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 01:28:21 am »
What are they made of? How big?

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 04:40:57 am »
I just empty the bags into the trash, then rinse out the bags with plain water.
No issues after 13 years.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

cptnpenguin

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 06:25:29 am »
They are the nylon kind made by BSG. Size, not sure but enough to do mini mash or pretty significant amount of pellets or whole hops

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 06:31:33 am »
They are the nylon kind made by BSG. Size, not sure but enough to do mini mash or pretty significant amount of pellets or whole hops

I rinse them thoroughly in hot water, give them a spray with starsan, and let air dry, use again.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 06:56:53 am »
I dump them and throw them into my cleaning bucket. Every so often I will soak them in some very hot oxyclean, but I find that too long of a soak or to strong of a mix is bad for them.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 07:12:33 am »
I only use mine in the boil so I simply empty the hops into the garbage, then rinse very well with hot water until all hop particles are gone and the material is clean.  Allow to air dry, put away, and use again!  No issues ever.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 10:47:51 am »
Be aware that chlorine can damage nylon bags, so don't clean or soak with that. I just wash my bags out throughly to remove all debris and then hang them out to dry. If I'm using my nylon grain sack for dry-hopping, I place the sack in boiling water for a few minutes. Otherwise, the sack is reused with no preparation when working on the hot side of the process.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 08:25:43 am »
I typically just rinse my BIAB bag a few times in hot water to get as much particulate matter off it as I can, then I soak the empty bag in hot water in the sink once or twice to get the stuff hiding in the nooks and crannies. That should also sparge off any excess sugar stuck to the bag.

Once or twice a year I will give my mash tun a hot PBW soak if it starts to look really grimy. I will usually throw my grain bag in the cooler while I'm doing this.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 08:51:59 am »
I typically just rinse them really well after use.  If I am using them to dry hop, I'll spray them down with Starsan.  On occasion, I may put the hop spider bag through a light wash cycle in the washing machine and air dry.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 09:04:03 am »
I typically just rinse my BIAB bag a few times in hot water to get as much particulate matter off it as I can, then I soak the empty bag in hot water in the sink once or twice to get the stuff hiding in the nooks and crannies. That should also sparge off any excess sugar stuck to the bag.

Once or twice a year I will give my mash tun a hot PBW soak if it starts to look really grimy. I will usually throw my grain bag in the cooler while I'm doing this.
+1 on the hot PBW soak when they look really dirty.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 09:20:32 am »
I rinse them off inside and out really well and air-dry. Every so often I throw the bags in the clothes washer with no soap and do a short or rinse cycle.

You might try soaking in a water vinegar solution for a brief period if they get funky. Then rinse and air-dry.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

cptnpenguin

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2015, 09:26:18 am »
Do I need to worry about discoloration (color of wort) on the hop bags from being in the boil? I rinsed and squeezed them out several time already.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 09:28:28 am »
No need to worry about any discoloration from the wort.  Mine are definitely no longer white and they still work just fine. 

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2015, 01:32:58 pm »
The bags I use, generally, are 5 gallon paint straining bags.  I dump the heavy stuff and then spray with hot water to rinse off the crumbs.  At the end of the brew of day I always have a pile of shop towels so I throw the bags and towels and whatever else in the washer/dryer.

The only problem is sooner or later they develop holes and need to be replaced.  More a factor of just wearing out than anything else.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?