Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Session Saison?  (Read 5787 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Session Saison?
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2015, 06:54:29 pm »
Willdo.

As for it's taste, I really enjoy this yeast. Honestly not a huge fan of some of the American craft saisons, they have this flavor I'm not always a fan of. Tried Saison Dupont once, it had all of the yeast character that I liked, less the odd flavors I wasn't fond of.

So far this beer tastes along what I was aiming for. It'd be interesting to try 3711 and see if that creates the flavors I'm trying to avoid.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2015, 06:59:18 pm »
Willdo.

As for it's taste, I really enjoy this yeast. Honestly not a huge fan of some of the American craft saisons, they have this flavor I'm not always a fan of. Tried Saison Dupont once, it had all of the yeast character that I liked, less the odd flavors I wasn't fond of.

So far this beer tastes along what I was aiming for. It'd be interesting to try 3711 and see if that creates the flavors I'm trying to avoid.

Yeah, it's rare to find a domestic made saison with 3724, since 3711 is so much easier to use. But to me the character of 3724 is vastly superior. I have used a lot of 3711 though and made good beers.
Jon H.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2015, 07:03:55 pm »
I figured that. Somehow I don't see most small breweries, and probably many of the larger ones, able to support a 90+ degree fermentation without specialized equipment.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2015, 04:33:31 pm »
Update:

Beer is down to 1.007, and the airlock is still bubbling. Going to let it keep going and see what happens…

Tastes pretty good, spicy and bitter. Not as dry as was hoping for, we'll see how it finishes.

No noticeable autolysis flavors yet. I'm slightly worried about autolysis this thing has been percolating for close to three weeks now at 92*F, but so far so good...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2015, 04:38:55 pm »
Update:

Beer is down to 1.007, and the airlock is still bubbling. Going to let it keep going and see what happens…

Tastes pretty good, spicy and bitter. Not as dry as was hoping for, we'll see how it finishes.

No noticeable autolysis flavors yet. I'm slightly worried about autolysis this thing has been percolating for close to three weeks now at 92*F, but so far so good...

No worries about autolysis there, especially in an actively fermenting beer. A lot of people used to wait even longer, not knowing 3724 needed to be used warmer.

EDIT - I've left big beers on the yeast for 6 weeks and had no ill effects.
Jon H.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2015, 04:40:39 pm »
So, keep the yeast fed and they don't turn into cannibals. Got it.  8)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2015, 04:48:18 pm »
So, keep the yeast fed and they don't turn into cannibals. Got it.  8)

Even after they're done eating, it's just not a big concern at home until you get past 2 months IMO.  The pressure on yeast cells in commercial breweries due to fermenter geometry, sheer volumes, and the fact that some breweries ferment under pressure stresses the yeast much, much more than we ever could at home. No worries.
Jon H.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2015, 07:07:04 pm »
Yet another update, if any one still cares…

This beer is STILL fermenting, even 31 days later. Gravity has dropped from 1.052 to 1.003. Seems like that flavor has developed a lot since the last sample I pulled, and is drying out nicely. Even flat and at 80ish degrees it's still really tasty.