Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Companion Plants for Hops  (Read 18815 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Companion Plants for Hops
« on: May 20, 2010, 10:15:47 am »
Is anyone planting companion plants/flowers near their hops to repel insects?  I've read that basil, cilantro, and marigolds are good for repelling certain insects like aphids.

Any thoughts?

My hops are also near my pumpkin, cantelope, and watermelon garden so hopefully these companion plants will benefit them as well.

Thanks.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
Re: Companion Plants for Hops
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 11:16:44 am »
I heard recently (from a host of a radio gardening show) that marigolds attract as many pests as they repel.  I could only find this ( http://www.professorshouse.com/your-home/gardening-plants/marigolds.aspx ) article to back it up, so take that for what its worth.  :-\

"It is an old wives’ tale that marigolds can used to repel insects that might damage vegetable gardens. Many people believe that, but some researchers say that they don’t have the potential to be insect repellents even though their pungent odor prevents most insects from being attracted to them. Other researchers say they are as effective as chemical treatment for many gardens, and much safer."
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 08:25:54 pm »
I would shy away from other plants that need a lot of nutrients and water, like pumpkins, etc.  I've not tried mixing hops with the rest of my garden - would be interesting to see what you find.  Herb may be safe, but not sure they benefit the hops or vice versa. 
I've also never had any pest issues because the aphids prefer my wife's lupines and the rose bush.  I usually use insecticidal soap on the "trap crop lupine" and just blast, gently, the roses with water.

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 07:36:01 am »
Green beans would be my choice.
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 10:56:36 am »
Green beans would be my choice.

I've also read peas are a good choice.  A nitrogen fixer, something that is harvested well before the hops and can be composted/mulched back into the soil.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline ipaisay

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 01:13:44 pm »
Cannabis....try that one! 

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 01:25:53 pm »
Barley for one stop shopping!  Anything growing near hops tends to get covered by the hops, so your companion plant should probably be a tall perennial or a fast growing annual.  I say this because I have to relocate a small blueberry bush as it is being outcompeted by the hop plant.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 01:29:31 pm »
Herbs are good. Good companions and also a way to help keep the pests away.
Ron Price

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 05:56:41 am »
Herb?  What you talkin about Willis?!   ;D 

I planted sweet corn in our garden not far from the hops and since the corn is up I've noticed the leaf chewers have migrated that way... not sure if its a blessing or a curse though?  :-\  :'(

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 08:08:53 am »

Get your head out of the bong....  :-*

I'm talking about dill, parsley, thyme, etc....
Ron Price

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 09:11:52 am »

Get your head out of the bong....  :-*

I'm talking about dill, parsley, thyme, etc....

Ha!  I know, I was kidding.   :D

Although when I was younger.... I never had problems with bugs eating my herb plants though either.   ;D  I haven't done that herb in too many years to mention though, it always put me to sleep, so I quit and started drinking.   :D  If it were legal to grow as a cash crop I'd grow it again though. I can honestly say that was one thing that I was extremely good at growing, I only grew a couple of plants per year for my own personal use and I was very choosey on which ones I kept and maintained.  I guess I'm getting off subject though so  :-X  :D

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 11:39:32 am »
Just a few days ago I picked up some rhizomes that were being discounted since it's so late in the season.  When the package arrived I found that they included extra rhizomes.

I've already planted tomatoes @ the end of where I'm putting in the hops, so now I have some rhizomes sandwiched between tomato plants.

Since it's their first year, and they got a late start, I don't expect many flowers this year but hope to get good roots in for next year when I'll probably move the tomatoes down further.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 11:07:14 am »
I'm not sure that a companion plant does all that much good other than protecting the base of the plant- currently I have a hop shoot that is 8 feet high and extends 12 feet laterally away from the base.