Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: immersion chiller hose adapters  (Read 1460 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
immersion chiller hose adapters
« on: April 08, 2015, 10:42:44 am »
Having a hell of time finding what I need for a 3/8" copper immersion chiller. I have 3/8" vinyl tubing so ultimately I would like a 3/8" barb to 3/4" male and female adapters. Correct? Is this size not standard?

Can anyone point me in the right direction for something so simple?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: immersion chiller hose adapters
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 10:56:14 am »
I found them at my local hardware store.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 11:05:56 am »
Looks like I might have to go 3/8" barb to 1/2" fitting and then 1/2" up to 3/4"...

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 11:32:45 am »
Pretty sure my pre-chiller uses 3/8" compression to 1/2" female pipe thread. I then use a 1/2" MPT to 3/4" garden. Maybe the market is too small to create a single fitting, or maybe they exist, just not at Lowes Depot.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 11:42:27 am »
Pretty sure my pre-chiller uses 3/8" compression to 1/2" female pipe thread. I then use a 1/2" MPT to 3/4" garden. Maybe the market is too small to create a single fitting, or maybe they exist, just not at Lowes Depot.

Yeah that appears to be the case. I don't know much about plumbing and just assumed that home depot would have a one fitting solution.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 01:56:18 pm »
After years of messing with vinyl tubing and 3/8" hose barb to 3/4" female swivel garden hose adapters, I broke down and purchased a set of 6' long washing machine hoses.  I cut the female hose connector off of one end of each hose, slipped cut ends over the ends of the copper tubing, and stainless steel band clamped the hoses in place.  I have never had to adjust the clamps, and I can run the cold water top-down or bottom-up (I prefer to run the cold water top-down because heat rises).

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ABBOTT-RUBBER-X1109RB-6FF-TP-Rubber-Washing-Machine-Hoses-6-Ft/24543211

If you still want to go the 3/8" hose barb to 3/4" female swivel garden hose fitting route, the Watts part number is LFA-683.  The fitting is almost as expensive as the pair of washing machine hoses linked above, and the washing hoses are heavy duty compared to vinyl tubing.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-3-4-in-x-3-8-in-Lead-Free-Brass-FGH-x-Barb-Swivel-Adapter-LFA-683/203468478
http://www.lowes.com/pd_416835-104-LFA-683_0__?productId=3824547

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 02:27:21 pm »
After years of messing with vinyl tubing and 3/8" hose barb to 3/4" female swivel garden hose adapters, I broke down and purchased a set of 6' long washing machine hoses.  I cut the female hose connector off of one end of each hose, slipped cut ends over the ends of the copper tubing, and stainless steel band clamped the hoses in place.  I have never had to adjust the clamps, and I can run the cold water top-down or bottom-up (I prefer to run the cold water top-down because heat rises).

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ABBOTT-RUBBER-X1109RB-6FF-TP-Rubber-Washing-Machine-Hoses-6-Ft/24543211

If you still want to go the 3/8" hose barb to 3/4" female swivel garden hose fitting route, the Watts part number is LFA-683.  The fitting is almost as expensive as the pair of washing machine hoses linked above, and the washing hoses are heavy duty compared to vinyl tubing.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-3-4-in-x-3-8-in-Lead-Free-Brass-FGH-x-Barb-Swivel-Adapter-LFA-683/203468478
http://www.lowes.com/pd_416835-104-LFA-683_0__?productId=3824547

Thanks for the info! I've got some band clamps and hopefully they are big enough to fit over the washing machine hose. I will try to make that happen...

At lease I see that those adapters exist. They don't carry them at the closest home depot. Do you happen to know the part number for the male fitting?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 03:35:20 pm by goschman »

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 04:37:24 am »
After messing around with clamping various pieces of tubing/hoses to the copper tubing on my IC, I was rummaging around the plumbing dept at Home Depot and found some adapters for washing machines. They have compression fittings for 3/8" tubing on one end and 3/4" hose threads on the other end. Work perfectly. Sorry don't have a better description of the part.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan