Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Hop Question  (Read 1314 times)

Offline nicosan1

• Assistant Brewer
New Hop Question
« on: April 07, 2015, 08:57:28 pm »
Was thinking of purchasing a pound of one of the newer blend of hops. 

I have a 1/2 pound of Waimea and 1/2 pound of Equinox.  Saw El Dorado and Lemon Drop online for sale. Which of those two would you recommend?  I tend to brew Saisons, IPAs, Pales.  Heard good results from both.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: New Hop Question
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 09:33:16 pm »
I've been wanting to try lemon drop for a while, but I haven't read much about it. I'd get that first. From what I have heard of el dorado, it's love hate.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 05:48:35 am »
I like Lemon Drop quite a bit better.  It's moderate AA (5-7% IIRC)  and is lemon/citrus/herbal/slight pine where El Dorado is mostly Jolly Rancher candy to me. Lemon Drop works well in American styles , but would work great in a saison, too. It's another new hop I think is gonna catch on. Good stuff.

EDIT -  Though the new Stone Delicious IPA uses a blend of the two hops and is very good. The sweet candy character of the El Dorado gets balanced out pretty well by the Lemon Drop.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 07:58:02 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline lesismore

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 08:21:17 am »
I used Lemon Drop recently in an American Wheat and couldn't be happier.  The flavors and aromas were just as described.  I think it would work well in a saison.  I also did a single hopped ipa (with magnum for bittering) and didn't think it worked great as a single hop for a beer like that.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 08:24:41 am »
I used Lemon Drop recently in an American Wheat and couldn't be happier.  The flavors and aromas were just as described.  I think it would work well in a saison.  I also did a single hopped ipa (with magnum for bittering) and didn't think it worked great as a single hop for a beer like that.

Yeah, I see it more as a great APA hop or something to be blended with for IPA. Really like it, though.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 11:35:03 am »
I find most hops don't do well as a single hopped IPA. Layering of flavors and aromas is key. Some hops certainly make great single hop IPAs. Mosaic makes an incredible single hops and I find I don't have to over do it with the late additions or dry hops.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 11:51:40 am »
I find most hops don't do well as a single hopped IPA. Layering of flavors and aromas is key. Some hops certainly make great single hop IPAs. Mosaic makes an incredible single hops and I find I don't have to over do it with the late additions or dry hops.

I agree.  I like to blend for IPA too, but there are a few that stand alone pretty well, like Mosaic and Equinox. And when that SN single hop Idaho 7 gets to retail, that's another one I'd definitely use alone.
Jon H.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 06:59:02 pm »

I agree.  I like to blend for IPA too, but there are a few that stand alone pretty well, like Mosaic and Equinox. And when that SN single hop Idaho 7 gets to retail, that's another one I'd definitely use alone.

same here. i really like the all mandarina IPA, however i will say i like it more with some cascade, centennial, and or citra.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline nicosan1

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 05:29:57 am »
I generally don't do single hop beers, nor would this hop be for single hops or SMASHs. Was just wondering what people thought of Lemondrop versus El Dorado for those styles. Sounds like Lemondrop is more well liked and would be good with other hops I have like Waimea, Mosaic or Equinox.