Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mounting Temp. Control Sensor  (Read 2609 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Re: Mounting Temp. Control Sensor
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2015, 06:51:12 am »
Although I have the probe taped to the fermenter and covered w. bubble tape, I am getting the following...

Kicks on at 66.2 degrees, runs for 2 minutes or so and kicks off once it drops below 65. It will go down to 63 or so and slowly start to raise again. It takes about 25 minutes for it to kick back on.

Obviously this isn't the water temp inside my fermenter that is floating around this much. I'm ok with that as long as the water temp remains somewhat constant. Is this normal for a chest freezer setup like this to have to run this often?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2015, 07:12:06 am »
Temperature-wise you have something that is static (water) while the beer will be dynamic during the attenuation phase. It will behave a bit differently I think.

Depending on he season and what's happening inside the freezer could kick on fairly often which is still ok. Your controller should have some short cycle avoidance feature.

Test runs are cool but the real test will be a fermentation run.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2015, 08:25:17 am »
I'm wondering if just measuring air temp would be easier and assume (or test) for the difference between the beer and the air. IMO, after 72 hours or so the beer is very stable in temp. I could plan on a lower setting during the first few days.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2015, 09:17:13 am »
It's what I do.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2015, 04:50:53 pm »
A guy over at Reddit responded that you should use sand...interesting stuff, transcript below.

"I worked in a research lab and in a commercial lab in my previous job and the standard was to put the temp sensor in a jar surrounded by sand. Taping to the wall will give you artificial high and low readings. Submerging in water will give you possibly an idea of what the brew temp is but many times chest freezers over shoot and end up over cooling due to the fact that it takes a while to cool water down.
For best results use a probe in a plastic wrap surrounded by sand"

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2015, 07:37:09 pm »
That's great if you were fermenting sand. 

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2015, 07:48:12 pm »
I'm wondering if just measuring air temp would be easier and assume (or test) for the difference between the beer and the air. IMO, after 72 hours or so the beer is very stable in temp. I could plan on a lower setting during the first few days.
I actually use a dual controller and a single controller.  Here's why:
If my target is 67 degrees, the dual controller will kick the freezer on when the beer hits 68 and shut it off as soon as the beer hits 67.  The problem is the freezer ambient could be 40 degrees at that point and the beer will keep plummeting causing the fermwrap to kick on and get the beer back up to 67, which soon turns to 68 and the process starts all over.  My dual controller probe is either taped to the carboy or in a thermowell. 
Enter the second controller.  This single Johnson controller is plugged in between my freezer and dual Ranco.  The probe is measuring freezer interior ambient temp.  It is set to turn the freezer off if the temp drops to 60.  This keeps the freezer interior from ever getting too cool.  It will turn the freeze cycle off prior to my beer moving from 68 back to 67, but the cool ambient temp always brings it down. 
Complicated?  Yes.  But complicated?  Yes.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 07:51:03 pm by JT »

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2015, 07:44:52 am »
Unnecessarily so most likely.

ffbrewer why not just brew a batch and see what it does?

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2015, 08:22:30 am »

This weekend!

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2015, 05:32:21 pm »
I just used mine for the first time yesterday and had an oops moment. My nice warm faucet water couldn't get my beer down under 80 so I put it in the chest freezer and set it for 65. Came back from dinner and it was down to 60, even though my diff was 2*, and the sanitizer in my airlock was completely frozen. Thank goodness I hadn't pitched my yeast yet. So I unplugged it and let it come back up to 65 naturally and then pitched my yeast. All seems to be going better now, 24 hours later, but it was a stressful few hours.

Offline waltsmalt

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2015, 06:50:28 pm »
I use an old Ace bandage from a knee scope with some paper towel to insulate the probe.  No tape goo and reusable.  The Ace bandage has Velcro on it.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2015, 06:58:17 pm »
I use an old Ace bandage from a knee scope with some paper towel to insulate the probe.  No tape goo and reusable.  The Ace bandage has Velcro on it.
Brilliant! Im going to grab a roll of the sticky rubberized elastic wrap. Blue of course

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2015, 08:55:52 pm »

Forgot to add that I noticed improved tasting results after eliminating those beer temp swings during fermentation (just going by my own tasting - no panel or blind tests). It also cut way down on cycling.  YMMV
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 08:59:08 pm by JT »

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2015, 01:26:13 pm »
If my target is 67 degrees, the dual controller will kick the freezer on when the beer hits 68 and shut it off as soon as the beer hits 67.

Which dual stage controller are you using?  I am in the market.

Came back from dinner and it was down to 60, even though my diff was 2*, and the sanitizer in my airlock was completely frozen.

If you fill your airlock with vodka instead of sanitizer, you can eliminate the freezing issue. 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2015, 01:27:43 pm »
If my target is 67 degrees, the dual controller will kick the freezer on when the beer hits 68 and shut it off as soon as the beer hits 67.

Which dual stage controller are you using?  I am in the market.

Came back from dinner and it was down to 60, even though my diff was 2*, and the sanitizer in my airlock was completely frozen.

If you fill your airlock with vodka instead of sanitizer, you can eliminate the freezing issue.
I'm using the Ranco.  It was about the only option I found at the time, although there are others now I think.