Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Modern work ethic  (Read 2097 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Modern work ethic
« on: April 08, 2015, 10:03:18 pm »
Monday: Dont go there! Just... dont
Tuesday: Team meeting? Woo hoo!
Wednesday: Mike Mike Mike! What day is it?
Thursday: I guess I better do something, like send an e-mail er something. I wonder if I can get tomorrow off?
Friday: Sick

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Modern work ethic
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 04:22:41 am »
Mines more like

Monday: Brew
Tuesday: Brew
Wednesday: Brew
Thursday: Brew
Friday:Brew
Saturday: Brew
Sunday: Sleep!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 04:33:21 am »
Yours is, but doesnt my post sound familiar?

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 12:43:53 pm »
Monday: Retired
Tuesday: Just another Monday
Wednesday: Just another Monday
Thursday: Just another Monday
Friday: Just another Monday
Saturday: Woo Hoo.. Finally a day off...
Sunday: Sunday....

If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 12:45:29 pm »
I worked with a couple that would call in sick nearly every Monday after payday Friday. Management didn't see the pattern. Finally got canned when somebody ratted them out for clocking each other in and out.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 12:52:37 pm »
I worked with a couple that would call in sick nearly every Monday after payday Friday. Management didn't see the pattern. Finally got canned when somebody ratted them out for clocking each other in and out.
It really is amazing the kind of cr@p people try to pull, all the while believing nobody notices.  My SO works in payroll for a large regional employer. I hear all kinds of stories.  Whether I want to or not.
She has a little jingle she sings to herself on particularly challenging day. Goes something like this.

Pay you F-ing bills, pay your F-ing bills... Oh your life would be much better if you'd pay your effing bills!

As she's processing the W-2 to minimize deductions on said dead-beat. 
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 01:01:35 pm »
I'm blessed that I work somewhere that people actually want to be. I manage 10 people and the rare times someone calls in sick they are really sick.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 01:05:32 pm »
It really is amazing the kind of cr@p people try to pull, all the while believing nobody notices.  My SO works in payroll for a large regional employer. I hear all kinds of stories.  Whether I want to or not.
She has a little jingle she sings to herself on particularly challenging day. Goes something like this.

Pay you F-ing bills, pay your F-ing bills... Oh your life would be much better if you'd pay your effing bills!

As she's processing the W-2 to minimize deductions on said dead-beat. 

I honestly thought I injured myself laughing. Evidently not, but it was touch-and-go for a minute.   ;D

And yeah, I have worked with some real winners over the years. They always think they're getting over on the company - until they don't.
Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 01:25:38 pm »
Monday- Friday: get up watch CNBC drink coffee and surf web. Think about brewing and perhaps mow lawn if needed. Hit the rack around 2200. Saturday and Sunday: get up drink coffee perhaps BBQ. Think about brewing. Fantasize about garden. Drink Bourbon. Sleep.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Hickory

• Assistant Brewer
  • Tapatalk User
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 01:34:58 pm »
My assistant manager smokes about 3-4 bowls a day in his car, no one cares. Another guy, who was a no call no show for a week, calls HR head a drunk whore, still has his job. I don't believe these people know what the word work ethic means.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 02:25:46 pm »
Sounds like an awesome place to work at. 8)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 02:47:00 pm »
Monday- Friday: get up watch CNBC drink coffee and surf web. Think about brewing and perhaps mow lawn if needed. Hit the rack around 2200. Saturday and Sunday: get up drink coffee perhaps BBQ. Think about brewing. Fantasize about garden. Drink Bourbon. Sleep.

Man, that's a hell of an itinerary. Glad you kept a spot open to BBQ. I know I do.  ;)
Jon H.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 02:51:45 pm »
At the company I work for as long you put in your 70 hours a week they're happy.  At least it's down from 80.  Corporate IT will take anything they can get and toss you as soon as you let up a little.

I was service manager for a company once where the boss hired a kid who showed up still drunk each morning for 2 weeks straight.  He didn't last long enough to even get sent to training. 

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 03:37:15 pm »
I have worked with some winners over the years. One guy in particular he had lost his drivers liscence and so I would pick him up on he way to the job site. One morning he is standing on the corner in his socks.
"yo man where's your boots"
"I uh left'um atta party last night we have to drive over there so I can geet'um"
   On another job I sent him back to the truck to get something while I worked on something else. After I while he didn't come back so I went to see what he was doing. He was sleeping in the in the front of the truck laying across the front seat. After that I told the boss it was me or him.
   And I have been know to take a nap on the job but I get my work done first, and don't do it where the client can see you.   ;)
   That's just one of the winners I've had to work with over the years.

Dan S. from NJ

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 06:51:10 pm »

Man, I'm jealous! What you describe is the life I aspire to after 42 years of working my a$$ off. Thanks for giving me hope.  :)
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'