Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Swap Idea  (Read 2341 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Beer Swap Idea
« on: April 09, 2015, 04:03:44 am »
Would there be any interest in a forum beer swap? This idea is sprouted from a secret santa I participated in, but different.

If we can do it, you would PM me your info. Once all the participants were in the hat, you would get a PM back with who to ship to. You would ship a beer to that person leaving out any clues to who you are. When you get a beer you enjoy it and post your comments on that beer. Only the brewer would know whose beer you are talking about. If they want to the brewer can reveal their identity. Only rules would be a commitment to follow through in a set timeline, and no rude comments in the beer reviews.

What do you think? If we're allowed to do it and there's at least 8 or 10 willing participants, we'll go from there.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Beer Swap Idea
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 04:24:05 am »
We tried to do this once before and it never stuck. I'd be willing to participate if someone can make it work.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 04:32:00 am »
I'll do the organization. For now 1. Can we? 2. Who's interested?

Also, I'm not into dragging things out. If we do this it will go quick, like shipping deadline of end of the month. Fail to ship and you might get outted. Only join in if you know you'll ship a beer. If you dont have a beer to ship right now, join up the next time we do it.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 05:47:22 am »
I'm interested and I'm reliable. If its OK with the AHA I'll do it. My only concern is that some will not follow through. I say we do a one strike and your out policy. Lost in the mail is the only excuse. If you are not positive that you can always have something to send don't do this.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Online ynotbrusum

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 05:50:43 am »
Jim I'd love to do it, but shipping can be difficult.  I would love to know a shipper through whom I could ship reliably for these purposes.  Last year's NHC entries for me was an all day runaround trying to locate a shipper willing to do this.  I finally found one, but that place was a member of some kind of wine club, so they were tied to a special group or had some kind of special rights with a national operator.  Now that place is closed down, so I don't know where to ship from (I am in the far western suburbs of Chicago).  I don't want to lie about contents, like has been suggested by others regarding NHC entries in the past.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 05:53:41 am »
Regarding shipping, this is a yeast sample swap.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 06:12:34 am »
Jim I'd love to do it, but shipping can be difficult.  I would love to know a shipper through whom I could ship reliably for these purposes.  Last year's NHC entries for me was an all day runaround trying to locate a shipper willing to do this.  I finally found one, but that place was a member of some kind of wine club, so they were tied to a special group or had some kind of special rights with a national operator.  Now that place is closed down, so I don't know where to ship from (I am in the far western suburbs of Chicago).  I don't want to lie about contents, like has been suggested by others regarding NHC entries in the past.
I get it, I really do. Fortunately for me I know my UPS hookup doesn't ask. If you want to but can't,  we all understand.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 06:17:15 am »
Another point guys, its not an AHA thing. Its our thing. Just using the forum as a way of organizing,  unless they say No.

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 06:44:03 am »
I would have a couple ready and would ship if you need participants.

Question though - How would you ship "without any clues as to who you are?"  Isn't there a return address on the shipments?

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 07:25:26 am »

Question though - How would you ship "without any clues as to who you are?"  Isn't there a return address on the shipments?
Probably right, so drop the secret part. But lets still do the comments.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 07:32:07 am »
i'm in. whats the swap sample - bottle, two......?
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 07:37:24 am »
I'm in.

It's been years since I've done one of these.  We should come up with a list of rules and guidelines so no one gets surprised or screwed or anything like that.  Personally I would usually share 2 bottles each, 12 ounces each, of perhaps 3 or 4 different recipes.  In the past I have seen forums where they said the minimum should be 2 recipes.  To some extent you can use PMs to negotiate with whoever is swapping with you and jack this up or down as necessary to keep things even.  I have also swapped commercial beers such as New Glarus, etc.  It's all good, as long as you work it out with your specific swapper via PMs or email.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 07:38:30 am »

Yeah, but there has to be at least a dozen guys named Jim in Klickitat. It could be from any of them.

I'm definitely interested in a future swap. I haven't brewed in a while, so I'm going to sit this one out. Unless I find something good in the cellar that I can spare, but I don't think I have anything that fits the bill.

While we're in the discussion phase - do we want this to be beer-only, or is cider and mead ok, too?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 07:43:52 am »

Yeah, but there has to be at least a dozen guys named Jim in Klickitat. It could be from any of them.

I'm definitely interested in a future swap. I haven't brewed in a while, so I'm going to sit this one out. Unless I find something good in the cellar that I can spare, but I don't think I have anything that fits the bill.

While we're in the discussion phase - do we want this to be beer-only, or is cider and mead ok, too?

IMO if its bottled its open to swap.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 07:52:54 am »
If you ship FedEx and have it picked up from your home with the label already on it you never get asked about contents.  I've heard shipping may actually be illegal in some states though and I'm not sure where to find a definitive answer? 
This does sound like fun, unfortunately I'll have to pass this go around.  New baby didn't leave time for brewing the last few months and my kegs are all running dry on me.  I will have to get back instock.