Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sanitization  (Read 2713 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Sanitization
« on: April 09, 2015, 08:25:15 am »
In an effort to use less water and Star San, I'm curious to know if anyone sanitizes fermenters and bottles/kegs with Star San via spray bottle.

I currently make up a 5 gallon batch of Star San for bottling and typically do the same or maybe a 2.5 gallon mix for the fermenter and shake up.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Sanitization
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 08:33:23 am »
For my carboys, I usually just use about a cup and shake/swirl the carboy for a few minutes to ensure the star san covers the entire surface area for 30ish seconds. Then I pour it as much as I can back into my star san bucket. Seems to work well so far.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 08:40:49 am »
Lately I've been spritzing my buckets with a bottle. Works well.

I keep some Starsan solution in a PET bottle to pour into my kegs. Pretty much don't make even small buckets of the solution any more.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 08:56:38 am »
Yes I almost always use a spray bottle exclusively to sanitize. Carboys are the exception because it's not easy to get a good coat on the upper interior with a spray (at least for me). I make a cup or so of solution and pour it in the carboy and shake it up until everything appears well coated. When I pour out the excess solution I capture it in a plastic bowl and use it to sanitize small parts or add it to my spray bottle.

I use very little star-san that way.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 09:09:35 am »
i mix a gallon and fill spray bottle as needed.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 09:31:09 am »

I keep some Starsan solution in a PET bottle to pour into my kegs. Pretty much don't make even small buckets of the solution any more.

+1

Its a very GOOD spritzing, ending with about a half-inch of Star San on the bottom. Make sure you get the lid, inside the grommet, etc.

I am a bad example, though. I've only brewed mixed-fermentation beers over the last year. I definitely have had cross-contamination, but its quite welcome  :D

I have a 2.5 gal keg filled with Star San for filling spray bottles and sanitizing kegs, lines, transfer tubing, glasses, and fermentors. If I need the keg, I just fill all the spray bottles and dump.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 09:47:55 am »
I use a spray bottle to sanitize everything. I mix up 1 gallon at a time using distilled water and fill my spray bottle as needed from the one gallon jug. For kegs and carboys I just make sure to give it a good sparyaing and then swirl it around to make sure it gets up at the top.
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 09:53:39 am »
I soak tubing and small items in my 5 gallon bucket of starsan. Since I ferment in buckets I pour the bucket of sanitizer into the fermenter bucket, put the lid on and swirl like hell, and pour back a couple minutes later. I then use the spray bottle for any needed spot sanitizing, like on the bucket lid, grommet, keg posts and QDs, etc.
Jon H.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 10:35:39 am »

Any requirement for longer storage in PET?

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 11:23:44 am »

Not sure but I know in the 1 gal water jugs, it eventually eat a whole and springs a leak....happened a few times already.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline mbarnaby

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 12:56:08 pm »
I use a 2 gallon veggie sprayer, the kind you would use to spray pesticide(it was brand new and has only had san star in it)  I like it cause once it is pumped up you just pull the handle, instead of having to squeeze a spray bottle a thousand times.  They are made to handle some caustic stuff so I have never had issue with it leaking or corroding. 

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2015, 02:35:08 pm »

The solution in the old windex bottle is eight-ish years old from the first bottle of Starsan. Clear as the day I made it. I'm on my second bottle of Starsan now and mix it into an 1L PET (soda) with my RO water. I think it's like 1/2oz of SS per litre. Keeps forever that way.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline inbituinthebrew

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2015, 07:47:52 am »
i mix a gallon and fill spray bottle as needed.

+1

I've only ever used the gallon jugs (star san directly into distilled water) and spray bottles (from the jug). I typically pour maybe 1/5th of the jug into the carboy and shake. All the smaller components get a shower from the bottle. I haven't had any holes in my gallon jugs though.
Alex B.

Currently reading: tbd

Bottled: Currently supporting local breweries

Fermenter: American Hefe

Up Next: Good Ol' American IPA

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 09:50:09 am »
Any reason some of you mention mixing w RO or distilled vs tap?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2015, 09:59:00 am »
Any reason some of you mention mixing w RO or distilled vs tap?

Mixed with distilled water in a spray bottle it will keep for a long time...like months to years.  with tap water is may only be good for a day.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell