Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Flight Fun  (Read 1369 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Beer Flight Fun
« on: April 10, 2015, 07:31:15 am »
I went to a brew pub in Seattle last night. I ordered a flight. They had 2 choices. Choice 1 was a taster of each of their 6 standard offerings.

Choice 2 was a taster of each of their 4 special offerings. The specials were an IPA, a double IPA, a triple IPA, and a double IPA. That made me smile.

I went with choice 1.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Beer Flight Fun
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 07:40:01 am »
I went to a brew pub in Seattle last night. I ordered a flight. They had 2 choices. Choice 1 was a taster of each of their 6 standard offerings.

Choice 2 was a taster of each of their 4 special offerings. The specials were an IPA, a double IPA, a triple IPA, and a double IPA. That made me smile.

I went with choice 1.

How many IPAs were in the standard flight?    ;D
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 07:43:34 am »

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 07:51:59 am »
Nothing against IPA's. But, can you taste anything after flight no. 2?
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 07:57:48 pm »

I went with choice 1.
That about sums up my experience with Seattle breweries when I was out there.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 10:42:22 am »
What's disappointing is a variety flight of several styles, that all seem an awful lot like IPA.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 01:03:33 pm »
No, what's really disappointing is going to a brewpub in California, order a flight of beers (a concept that does not exist in Belgium), taste one disappointing beer after another, and having to stay in the pub forever because your hand continues to move from one glass to the next without picking up any.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 06:37:21 am »
Nothing against IPA's. But, can you taste anything after flight no. 2?

The real question is: Why would you want to?

I'm sure I would have gone with the flight of IPAs.  Apparently I live in the right part of the world because 80% of the time when I ask myself what style I want to drink, the answer is "An IPA!"

Seriously, there is just so much going on in a good IPA!  Malt character, mouth watering acidity, intriguing aromas, bracing bitterness...  And each of these categories has three dimensions of variability to experiment with. 

I never tire of it.  ::)
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 08:52:46 am »
Just to be clear. I don't want to criticize this brew pub. They had a nice environment, good food, and good beer.  I enjoyed the flight I purchased.

I just was surprised that the flight of specialties on tap consisted 100% of IPAs. I am guessing this is a reflection of the market.

As to my personal tastes, I like IPAs but tend to shy away from double IPAs. I like an IPA where I can pick out individual hop flavors like orange, citrus, pine, etc. With many double+ IPAs, I tend to think the hop flavors start to over power each other and you end up with a mega blend of hop that is harder to put a finger on and which causes lots of double IPAs to taste the same. Another issue I find with a lot of double IPAs is sweetness. A lot of them have a table sugar taste to me.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 09:24:45 am »
Another issue I find with a lot of double IPAs is sweetness. A lot of them have a table sugar taste to me.

I agree. Sweetness and high hopping is a bad combo IMO. The vast majority are underattenuated. Gotta limit crystal, use sugar in place of some base malt, and mash low (148-9 IMO).
Jon H.