Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Sweet Potato Mead  (Read 2507 times)

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
Sweet Potato Mead
« on: April 10, 2015, 03:40:09 pm »
I made a couple of meads today, and decided to use 4 lbs of canned sweet potato and 1 lb of canned pumpkin. I though it would make for an interesting mouthfeel. I also put in some plum wine base, but the other batch of mead got most of the 96 oz. used D47 for the yeast. The honey varieties were wildflower, carrot blossom, coriander, and pumpkin.

I was bored, and wanted to make some mead. Hopefully they turn out well.

Anyone ever used sweet potatoes or pumpkin in their meads?
Kyle M.

Offline Scot (one T)

• Cellarman
Re: Sweet Potato Mead
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 08:39:19 am »
I've used them in beer, not mead and found they impart very little flavor.  The vast majority of flavor in pumpkin / sweet potato beers or meads come from spices.
Scot Schaar
River's Edge Fermentation Society
St Paul Homebrewers Club
AHA Member
BJCP Beer and Mead Judge

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 05:16:57 am »
Obviously, unless you used some enzymes, you just added starchy mess to your mead. You might bet a little flavor but I'm guessing you realize there will not be much in the way of fermentables.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 07:39:23 am »
Obviously, unless you used some enzymes, you just added starchy mess to your mead. You might bet a little flavor but I'm guessing you realize there will not be much in the way of fermentables.

Indeed. I hope that it adds a different mouthfeel, that will hopefully be good. I doubt much flavor will come through. But if not, it was a lower gravity mead, so not that big a loss.
Kyle M.