Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Saison attempt  (Read 15470 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Saison attempt
« Reply #105 on: June 02, 2015, 12:41:03 pm »
This is definitely a yeast that takes patients.

I do hope you have health insurance.
Thats pretty phunny

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2015, 12:41:50 pm »
Well the open ferment definitely improves 3724's performance - some.  I used extra oxygenation, extra nutrient, and a bigger starter, ramped to 90F after 48 hrs. I stalled @ 1.016 on day 12, pitched some 3711 to finish (like I've done many times) and ended up @ 1.002. Kegged it on Sunday. Cool thing is it keeps the 3724 character.

Stalled even with the heat?  What was you OG?  I've been thinking about coming back to 3724, but I just can't put up with the stall.

Offline mchrispen

• Brewmaster
    • Accidentalis Brewing Blog
« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2015, 01:30:10 pm »
You have a gun... you could threaten the yeast to finish where you want.
Matt Chrispen
Sometime Austin Zealot
Blogging from the garage @ accidentalis.com
>> Bru'n Water Spreadsheet Walkthroughs<<
>> Bru'n Water Subscriber Version 5.3 Spreadsheet Walkthrough <<

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2015, 01:41:35 pm »

Stalled even with the heat?  What was you OG?  I've been thinking about coming back to 3724, but I just can't put up with the stall.

I haven't tried it for this reason plus, I just really like 3711
+1 - I love 3711. It's definitely quite a bit different from Dupont, but I love the flavor profile I get from it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2015, 02:36:27 pm »
Well the open ferment definitely improves 3724's performance - some.  I used extra oxygenation, extra nutrient, and a bigger starter, ramped to 90F after 48 hrs. I stalled @ 1.016 on day 12, pitched some 3711 to finish (like I've done many times) and ended up @ 1.002. Kegged it on Sunday. Cool thing is it keeps the 3724 character.

1.055 = low gravity, as far as I'm concerned.

For my time and effort, a yeast that won't finish up a small beer in a timely fashion is not worth it.

I think I'll stick with 3711.  Though I am tempted to give 3724 a try once again, it's just requires too much babying.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2015, 02:56:32 pm »
You have a gun... you could threaten the yeast to finish where you want.
There's too many of them, id be out numbered by like 800 billion

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2015, 03:07:57 pm »

1.055 = low gravity, as far as I'm concerned.

For my time and effort, a yeast that won't finish up a small beer in a timely fashion is not worth it.

I think I'll stick with 3711.  Though I am tempted to give 3724 a try once again, it's just requires too much babying.
If it ever finishes it should be about 6.5% so, upper end of standard strength. But I hear what you're saying. I'm learning to go with the flow. If its going to turn out to be 4 cases of magnums that are Dupont quality... in other words $500 worth of beer... I have no problem waiting. Even if its 3 months grain to glass, thats quick compared to my sours.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2015, 03:21:33 pm »
I hear you.

I b**** about 3724, but I just kegged a tripel that took nearly two months to finish.

It was huge, and finished low.  12% tripel on tap for Jr's 4th this weekend.  Danger.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2015, 09:07:27 am »
Side note, I put my hydrometer sample into the fridge yesterday after I took my gravity reading. I wanted to see if a sudden drop in temp would cause the yeast to drop. It didnt. After sitting in the fridge about 12 hours it was just as full of yeast as it was when it was at 90º. So it must be still working pretty hard.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #114 on: June 03, 2015, 09:21:49 am »
As slow as that initial pitch of 3724 can take sometimes (upwards of 6 wks IME even with heat), I have found that successive pitches have behaved more normally with respect to turnaround fermentation time.  With a 2nd generation repitch I have observed typical ale fermentation times (2-3 wks) even with stronger OG (1.075+).  I have always chalked it up to the yeast getting used to my brewery environment. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #115 on: June 03, 2015, 09:27:49 am »
As slow as that initial pitch of 3724 can take sometimes (upwards of 6 wks IME even with heat), I have found that successive pitches have behaved more normally with respect to turnaround fermentation time.  With a 2nd generation repitch I have observed typical ale fermentation times (2-3 wks) even with stronger OG (1.075+).  I have always chalked it up to the yeast getting used to my brewery environment. 

I've noticed that ,too. Definitely performs better the second time 'round. The thing for me is I normally don't brew back to back saisons. It's usually on to the next style.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #116 on: June 03, 2015, 09:31:09 am »
Yeah, I hear ya!  Sometimes the yeast get lucky at my house and get to live another brewday.

Offline leowaiau

• 1st Kit
« Reply #117 on: June 03, 2015, 05:49:55 pm »
I usually add a small amount of sugar to my saisons. I find that it creates a dryness that I personally am a fan of. I like my saisons refreshing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2015, 09:12:52 am »
31 days and now its at 1.011. Smells fantastic, still full of yeast in suspension. I bumped the temp to 95º. At the current rate of 1 gravity point per day this ought to be reaching terminal in another week and a half. I think I will take another reading in a week and if the rate has slowed at all I am moving them to the spare closet and pitching brett. (Maybe the threat will get their attention)

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2015, 12:38:36 pm »
Save some of the yeast for a repitch.  You won't be disappointed at the turnaround time.