Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Contest Entry  (Read 2027 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: First Contest Entry
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 07:42:14 am »
Keep those suckers cold until the very last day you have to package them and send them out.  Will help to minimize oxidation.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 03:02:23 pm »
Somebody around here posted a method that is cheap and works well. Get a bottling wand and remove the spring tip. The tube fits perfectly into a picnic tap, giving you a bottom filler with a valve. If you push your beer with very low pressure (say 2psi) you should get very little foaming and an easy fill.
Mchrispen has a dunkel and a helles coming that I bottled this way. Drop serving pressure, purge bottles, fill with tipless bottling wand shoved into cobra tap. I fill till foam overflows to just beer. Then quickly cap on foam. Its hard to get a uniform propper fill level, but hopefully that wont matter. They are on the slow boat to china (Texas) so we'll see how they survive the journey.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2015, 09:24:00 pm »
I have one of those growler filler type tubes that has a double o-ring stainless plug in the tap end and a ten inch or so tube that extends into the bottle.  It isn't the way I would fill bottles for long term storage but it works well enough for comps or sending in a swap....

I did this for the current swap and Toby can vouch for how it goes.

As with many Homebrew issues - YMMV.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2015, 06:11:38 am »
I have one of those growler filler type tubes that has a double o-ring stainless plug in the tap end and a ten inch or so tube that extends into the bottle.  It isn't the way I would fill bottles for long term storage but it works well enough for comps or sending in a swap....

I did this for the current swap and Toby can vouch for how it goes.

As with many Homebrew issues - YMMV.
I need to grab one. I'm tired of wrangling the cobra just to fill a couple bottles.

Offline TMULLEN96

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 10:57:00 am »
Waiting to receive my score sheets in the mail. However, I cracked the extra two bottles i had the day of the comp and they seemed to have a nice level of carbonation. I'm hoping for good scores, but at least i know i can hold Co2 in bottles off the draft lines. Thanks to all, ill let you know how I score.