Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pilsner Urquell triple decoction  (Read 25083 times)

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
Re: Pilsner Urquell triple decoction
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2011, 01:28:34 pm »

I got the feeling 2206 was temperamental from Designing Great Beers.  Although it isn't called out by name and manufacturer, I interpreted it as the yeast we were using, 2206.  We took extra care to cool the starter and pitch at near fermentation temperature (wort was chilled to the same fermentation temp. as the starter).

I wouldn't call Wyeast 2206 tempermental.  It is the only lager strain I just and it produces very clean, consistent results  and clear beer everytime with 74-78% attenuation no matter the beer.  I set the fermenter at 48-50F for 3-4 weeks and then go straight into lagering.  I have never had this yeast kick off sulfur or diacetyl.  Maybe a little green apple/acetaldehyde when it is young, but that typically goes away quickly. 

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2011, 04:31:10 pm »
Good to know about the enzymes.  At least now I know where to focus next in formulating the recipe.  Any grain suggestions to augment the low enzymes?  I don't have the lot analysis.

If the base malt is anything other than a pale or pilsner malt, and you don't have the lot analysis for it, I'd use the lightest-colored base malt that would be stylistically appropriate to make up at least 20% of the fermentables. In this case that would be your pilsner malt of choice. In an ale, probably a domestic 2-row pale malt.

Thanks, good to know.  That knowledge will come in handy the next time we make this batch and future batches.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline jake amo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 01:36:50 pm »
Someone mentioned earlier; a substituion for decotion, not being decotion dependent and other ways to acheive a decotion flavor profile without hours of labor. I would be very interested in this as i am a slave to decotion! I do it all the time; Bock, marzen, pilz, Lambic, hefe allways and i have even tried it with american styles; brown, porter, and it makes a damn good hoppy american red.  I find i get a highly fermentable wort from a double or tripple but not with a single. By highly fermentable i mean 75/80 percent. I find the beers to have an unmatched body and sweetness compared to other beers that dry using infusion.  This continues to mystify me and i continue to be a slave to decotion.   I have however been doing 2 hour boil, single infusion IPAs mashing at 158/160 and getting a similar flavor but with a lower att. 65/70 percent. I would love to brew up a side by side taste test faux decotion vs real decotion. If anyone has a method or methods please help, Im a slave to the slow, slow, slow decotion!

Offline thatleetboy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2015, 09:30:01 am »
Does anyone have a copy of this recipe that they could share with me?
Or know where it might be posted online somewhere?

Cheers
kegged: Sam Adams Boston Lager clone; Coffee Porter; Ordinary Bitter; Pale Ale; Dry Irish Stout
conical:
bottled: Russian Imperial Stout

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2015, 03:27:02 pm »
Does anyone have a copy of this recipe that they could share with me?
Or know where it might be posted online somewhere?

Cheers

No idea if this is close:
http://byo.com/stories/item/3030-pilsner-urquell-clone

all grain option is below
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2015, 04:59:00 pm »
Also the July/August 2011 issue of Zymurgy had a good article on PU, and decoction.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline thatleetboy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2015, 07:06:30 pm »
Also the July/August 2011 issue of Zymurgy had a good article on PU, and decoction.

This is what I am looking for.... thanks.
kegged: Sam Adams Boston Lager clone; Coffee Porter; Ordinary Bitter; Pale Ale; Dry Irish Stout
conical:
bottled: Russian Imperial Stout

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2015, 06:49:29 am »
Someone mentioned earlier; a substituion for decotion, not being decotion dependent and other ways to acheive a decotion flavor profile without hours of labor. I would be very interested in this as i am a slave to decotion! I do it all the time; Bock, marzen, pilz, Lambic, hefe allways and i have even tried it with american styles; brown, porter, and it makes a damn good hoppy american red.  I find i get a highly fermentable wort from a double or tripple but not with a single. By highly fermentable i mean 75/80 percent. I find the beers to have an unmatched body and sweetness compared to other beers that dry using infusion.  This continues to mystify me and i continue to be a slave to decotion.   I have however been doing 2 hour boil, single infusion IPAs mashing at 158/160 and getting a similar flavor but with a lower att. 65/70 percent. I would love to brew up a side by side taste test faux decotion vs real decotion. If anyone has a method or methods please help, Im a slave to the slow, slow, slow decotion!

I have yet to do a side by side comparison experiment, but I do get a nice full mouthfeel that is reminiscient of a decoction when I perform a no sparge with my beers.