Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Flat Top Black Rye IPA  (Read 1248 times)

Offline akwarmike

• 1st Kit
Flat Top Black Rye IPA
« on: April 29, 2015, 04:09:45 am »
While in South Carolina for my son's wedding we stopped at Coleman Public House in Mt. Pleasant or Charleston SC to have some fresh oysters and seafood and try a few east coast brews.  I ordered a Flat Top Black Rye IPA and was hit with one awesome freaking beer.  Definitely and IPA as I could smell the hop notes and taste them but then the coffee/espresso/mocha flavors hit you and.......damn what a beer.  I'm a huge hophead an just recently started trying the Cascadian/Black IPA's.  Flat Top Brewing is from Banner Elk North Carolina, not sure how readily accessible this brew is but if you see it have one, definitely worth it.
Homebrewing since 1998

On Tap: Zero Dark Thirty (Cascadian Dark Ale)
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Next Up: Banane Hängematte (Bavarian Hefeweizen)

BEER IS PROOF GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY - Ben Franklin

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Flat Top Black Rye IPA
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 04:31:39 am »
I wonder if the east coast may have better luck with these. West coast dry IPA with tripple digit IBUs AND roast, just doesnt work for me. But something more malty and around 45 IBU with mellow roast might work.

Offline akwarmike

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 05:02:39 am »
I looked up the info on my Untappd  app it shows ABV: 6.7% / IBU 40, it was not nowhere near triple digits on the IBU's but had great hop flavor and aroma.
Homebrewing since 1998

On Tap: Zero Dark Thirty (Cascadian Dark Ale)
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Next Up: Banane Hängematte (Bavarian Hefeweizen)

BEER IS PROOF GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY - Ben Franklin

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 08:37:57 am »
I wonder if the east coast may have better luck with these. West coast dry IPA with tripple digit IBUs AND roast, just doesnt work for me. But something more malty and around 45 IBU with mellow roast might work.

I think you guys in the pacific northwest are still calling beers like this American stouts.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing