Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Busch Copper Lager  (Read 6229 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Busch Copper Lager
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2015, 08:47:58 am »
I have been making a lot more lagers of late myself.  It seems there are IPA's all over the shelves in the stores these days.  It's more fun to make beer that has less availability and finding a good German Pils or even a CAP in the store or at a pub is much more unusual.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2015, 09:12:09 am »

I have a feeling in the not so distant future craft beer is just going to be called "beer"

I certainly hope so.  I honestly do believe that is exactly where it is headed...it may take a while but I'd make book on it.

Craft beer sounds a lot better than microbrew. I think craft comes from craftsman which is similar to artisan.

Except that it's craftsman responsible for making the BMC stuff too (albeit as work for hire). 
Besides which, brewing in general is a craft in and of itself.
I really do think artisan says it better, and is more suggestive of smaller scale.

Of course, as I have said in the past, "...homebrew is the craftiest beer of all."
I can't say for sure, but, I would think BMC would have embraced industrial automation techniques by now. In that case, the beer is being made by programmable logic controllers and such. Think of picobrew on steroids.  No craftsman. Just operators supervising an industrial process. Not much different than making ethanol, cookies, refining gasoline, generating electricity, making steel, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Many of the larger craft breweries are what you describe. They do weigh out the hops, and manually dump into the kettle. Who wants to manually load the grist case, or shovel out a 200 bbl mash tun?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2015, 09:03:19 am »
I have been making a lot more lagers of late myself.  It seems there are IPA's all over the shelves in the stores these days.  It's more fun to make beer that has less availability and finding a good German Pils or even a CAP in the store or at a pub is much more unusual.

Between Nooner and Pivo, I'm hoping that the Pils bandwagon is going to start rolling soon in the craft beer market. But I hear what you're saying. I brew a lot of Continental and English style beers for the same reason.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2015, 09:28:12 am »
I'd like to see more breweries do the same, too. Too many cookie cutter places doing the same average IPAs. I'd love to see more quality lagers.

You'll have to check out Urban Chestnut Brewery from St. Louis. They distribute into Indy and have a solid lager

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2015, 09:47:34 am »
I'd like to see more breweries do the same, too. Too many cookie cutter places doing the same average IPAs. I'd love to see more quality lagers.

You'll have to check out Urban Chestnut Brewery from St. Louis. They distribute into Indy and have a solid lager

I've had it and it is really nice !
Jon H.