Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: doing a Kolsch style  (Read 3622 times)

Offline scarecrow

• Cellarman
doing a Kolsch style
« on: April 13, 2015, 06:47:25 pm »
I am moving on to my 2nd brew this coming weekend and plan on doing a Kolsch style brew. I already have an amber ale and think a nice Kolsch style would be a great compliment to the Amber. My question though is during the secondary fermentation the recipe calls for the brew to be kept at a 50 degree temp. I plan on using my Kegerator as the secondary fermentation however when checking the temps it sits between 46-48 degrees. Having the temp lower than called for will it affect the yeast and fermentation or will it be fine?

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
Re: doing a Kolsch style
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 09:30:42 pm »
Which yeast are you planning on using?  My assumption is that the 50°F secondary is to perform a type of lagering phase. I think the 46 - 48° will be fine. If you keg your beer I would just keg it then chill it and allow it to lager for awhile to allow the beer to clean up and clarify.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 09:35:50 pm »
IIRC Kölsch is lagered at 40oF for 4 weeks. 45oF will be fine.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline scarecrow

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 10:41:03 pm »
Which yeast are you planning on using?  My assumption is that the 50°F secondary is to perform a type of lagering phase. I think the 46 - 48° will be fine. If you keg your beer I would just keg it then chill it and allow it to lager for awhile to allow the beer to clean up and clarify.

So if I did this I should just hold off on hooking up the CO2 until after secondary is complete? Im going to be using Wyeast 2565 yeast smack pack.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 10:46:03 pm »
You can carbonate at the same time as lagering.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 10:52:13 pm »

You can carbonate at the same time as lagering.

Edit : The WY2565 can be lagered cooler than 45°F.

Offline scarecrow

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 10:58:04 pm »
awesome thanks for the info. I can't help myself I got this itch and need to brew..

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 11:03:50 pm »
I know the feeling. I brew as often as possible. I try to brew several different styles so I have plenty to choose from.

Offline scarecrow

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2015, 11:30:23 pm »
Currently I have two taps on my system. figured that same reason when the wife asked me why. I like a variety so I went with an amber ale and now a kolsch. I wanted something light for working in the yard.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 09:14:50 am »

This (as well as the other info).  I lager in the keg under CO2 at 38ish.  My last Kolsch is almost ready (right at 4 weeks lagering).  Alas, it's not quite to style since I got a little extra bitterness and flavor out of the hops I used (they were out of Spalt, so I used Hallertau).  It actually comes off as a Kolsch/German Pils hybrid.  I was even considering entering it as a Pils on a lark.

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 09:24:51 am »

This (as well as the other info).  I lager in the keg under CO2 at 38ish.  My last Kolsch is almost ready (right at 4 weeks lagering).  Alas, it's not quite to style since I got a little extra bitterness and flavor out of the hops I used (they were out of Spalt, so I used Hallertau).  It actually comes off as a Kolsch/German Pils hybrid.  I was even considering entering it as a Pils on a lark.

My current kolsch is very similar. It definitely tasted more like a pils when it was younger but has softened a bit with time. I used 2.1% AA tettnang to get to 26 IBUs which equated to a lot of hops. It has an overall 'hoppiness' that is not present in a traditional kolsch. I overshot my gravity quite a bit and decided to add more hops as well and overdid it a bit.

To the OP, if you are kegging I wouldn't worry about lagering it before packaging. For me it's interesting to see how the beer changes by sampling throughout the aging process.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:29:05 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 09:40:35 am »
To the OP, if you are kegging I wouldn't worry about lagering it before packaging. For me it's interesting to see how the beer changes by sampling throughout the aging process.

Indeed! Drink fresh Kolsch! Yum.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 03:25:00 pm »
So if I did this I should just hold off on hooking up the CO2 until after secondary is complete? Im going to be using Wyeast 2565 yeast smack pack.

Keep in mind that 2565 has a rep of being very slow to drop clear.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2015, 05:17:45 pm »

My current kolsch is very similar. It definitely tasted more like a pils when it was younger but has softened a bit with time. I used 2.1% AA tettnang to get to 26 IBUs which equated to a lot of hops. It has an overall 'hoppiness' that is not present in a traditional kolsch. I overshot my gravity quite a bit and decided to add more hops as well and overdid it a bit

That is why I like to use a strong AA% hop like German Magnum for bittering to minimize the amount of hop matter going into this delicate style beer. 

Offline scarecrow

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2015, 08:56:25 pm »
So I did the Kolsch today and it kicked my ass. I couldn't get the boil to stay at 168 like the directions said so I had to paint a low at 180. did it for about an hour and had to actually cool the boil down twice when I realized I made a mistake. So by me taking this off the boil and dunking it in a water bin to chill did I ruin this beer. I just want to know before I go and put it in 2ndary fermentation next weekend.