Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: doing a Kolsch style  (Read 3672 times)

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
Re: doing a Kolsch style
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2015, 09:41:30 pm »
Not sure what you mean by "couldn't get the boil to stay at 168 like the directions said so I had to paint a low at 180".
Are you talking about steeping some grain at those temps?  They are pretty high to be steeping.

Was there even a grain bill?  Or was it purely extract?

Is your beer ruined?  Probably not.  It may have a bit of astringency though, and/or unconverted starch from the heat. 

We need more info on exactly what happened.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2015, 09:41:33 pm »
Boil at 168°? That doesn't sound right.

Offline scarecrow

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2015, 09:51:35 pm »
Some reason my Mac is acting stupid today. It was a mix grain and abstract brew. I steeped the grains at 160 and was told to add everything once I rolled it over to the boil. I think I got confused on the instructions they weren't very clear. So I started the boil and tossed in the hops as directed 60,25,and 15 min.
I know I have action going in the primary right now the air lock is going nuts so not sure if I should be worried. If I steeped the grains too high whats the worst that going to happen?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2015, 10:50:13 pm »
Steeping at 160 should be fine, but you did get an actual boil going?

Offline scarecrow

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2015, 10:58:13 pm »
Yes I said screw the directions as they were confusing me and just went with a boil Right now I have so much activity in the primary I just removed the airlock and put the blowoff on it.

Offline scarecrow

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2015, 09:15:08 pm »

after the eight hours so I guess it's going good

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2015, 08:11:58 pm »
If you steep at too high a temp and too high a pH, you can pull tannins from the grain.  These tannins can give an astringent (puckering, powdery, sandpapery) mouth feel to the finished product.

For next time, any time you have grains to steep, you want to do so at about 150-155 in about 2-4 quarts for every lb of grain.  Use a thermometer to measure water temp to prevent excessive temps from pulling harsh tannins from the husk if you get too hot.  150-155 is a good temp because it is in the middle of mash temp range (ie, all grain brewers do their mash there) and it gives you a lot of room above and below if you miss high or low.

Then, after steeping for about 30 mins, you should take the grain bag out and let it drain into the pot without squeezing it (which also can release harsh tannins).

HTH-

« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 01:49:42 pm by santoch »
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline scarecrow

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 10:25:36 am »
If you steep at to high a temp and too high a pH, you can pull tannins from the grain.  These tannins can give an astringent (puckering, powdery, sandpapery) mouth feel to the finished product.

For next time, any time you have grains to steep, you want to do so at about 150-155 in about 2-4 quarts for every lb of grain.  Use a thermometer to measure water temp to prevent excessive temps from pulling harsh tannins from the husk if you get too hot.  150-155 is a good temp because it is in the middle of mash temp range (ie, all grain brewers do their mash there) and it gives you a lot of room above and below if you miss high or low.

Then, after steeping for about 30 mins, you should take the grain bag out and let it drain into the pot without squeezing it (which also can release harsh tannins).

HTH-
Thanks for the tips Santoch very much appreciated and I will be sure to follow next time.

Offline scarecrow

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2015, 12:18:19 am »
Don't taste bad but I thought a kolsch was more clear

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2015, 06:26:54 am »
Yeah, it needs to be clear but it won't be clear unless you fine or filter it. That particular yeast is a pain to get to drop out but with some fining and cold conditioning it will drop out. Gelatin or biofine clear will do the trick.

Offline scarecrow

• Cellarman
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2015, 09:24:08 am »
Yeah, it needs to be clear but it won't be clear unless you fine or filter it. That particular yeast is a pain to get to drop out but with some fining and cold conditioning it will drop out. Gelatin or biofine clear will do the trick.

So I just pop the keg and add a drop or two as per the directions? Its been in 2ndary fermentation in the fridge at 40 degrees for the past 3 weeks.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2015, 09:25:57 am »
Biofine clear? More than a drop or two. 20 ml probably bout right. Commercial instructions say 90 -190 ml per bbl (31 gallons)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2015, 10:24:59 am »
Easy conversion - I bought mine from Morebeer and they recommend 1/4 tbsp - 2 tbsp per 5 gallons. I like ~ 1 tbsp for most beers.
Jon H.

Offline scarecrow

• Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2015, 11:09:25 am »
Awesome going to order some today

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2015, 11:14:44 am »
Don't taste bad but I thought a kolsch was more clear

Most commercials Kolsches are filtered from what I understand.  That being said, I get mine pretty clear by leaving it in the keg for 3 or 4 weeks before touching it.  The other possibility is chill haze.  Did it clear as it warmed?