Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: liquid equivalents of T-58  (Read 5769 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
liquid equivalents of T-58
« on: April 14, 2015, 08:07:38 am »
I am curious if there is a white labs or wyeast equivalent to T-58. This yeast worked very well for me in a wit but not so well in a saison. It's so hard to find a good description on this yeast and I don't know what styles it is best suited for. It seems like a just a basic belgian yeast...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:13:40 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: liquid equivalents of T-58
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 09:13:50 am »
I am curious if there is a white labs or wyeast equivalent to T-58. This yeast worked very well for me in a wit but not so well in a saison. It's so hard to find a good description on this yeast and I don't know what styles it is best suited for. It seems like a just a basic belgian yeast...

Haven't heard a direct equivalent, but if it's good in a wit, not so much so in a saison, then WY3944 (Witbier) would be a good start.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 09:17:47 am »

Haven't heard a direct equivalent, but if it's good in a wit, not so much so in a saison, then WY3944 (Witbier) would be a good start.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I am wondering what other styles it might work for. Any ideas? My use and knowledge of belgian strains is quite limited...

According to wyeast, I could get away with using 3944 for a tripel which I have been wanting to do. Maybe I could try that...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 09:27:22 am »

That's kind of what I was thinking. I am wondering what other styles it might work for. Any ideas? My use and knowledge of belgian strains is quite limited...

According to wyeast, I could get away with using 3944 for a tripel which I have been wanting to do. Maybe I could try that...

3787 is the king of tripel yeasts, though.
Jon H.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 09:28:37 am »

3787 is the king of tripel yeasts, though.

+1  :D
Kyle M.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 09:30:19 am »
Noted. Just trying to use up a packet sitting in the fridge. Maybe its time for another batch of Walter Wit...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 09:43:10 am »

I would definitely not use 3944 to make a tripel.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 09:44:05 am »

Wyeast would apparently...haha

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 09:45:39 am »

They're trying to sell yeast....I'm trying to make good beer.  I have a lot of friends at Wyeast and I respect their opinions, but that doesn't mean those opinions are always the best way to go.  I know a lot more about 1450 than they do and some of the recommendations they make for that scare me!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:48:05 am by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 09:59:16 am »

They're trying to sell yeast....I'm trying to make good beer.  I have a lot of friends at Wyeast and I respect their opinions, but that doesn't mean those opinions are always the best way to go.  I know a lot more about 1450 than they do and some of the recommendations they make for that scare me!

I understand. That's why its hard when you don't have experience with a certain yeast and they are telling you it can be used for something that it shouldn't. I guess that's why I come here but it still bugs me...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 10:06:53 am »
I love Wyeast, but I don't buy their recommendations that alt yeast can be subbed for kolsch yeast, and kolsch for alt yeast, either.
Jon H.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 05:40:56 pm »
I love Wyeast, but I don't buy their recommendations that alt yeast can be subbed for kolsch yeast, and kolsch for alt yeast, either.

^^^For the sake of equal opportunity bashing, White Labs also does exactly this.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 05:49:45 pm »

^^^For the sake of equal opportunity bashing, White Labs also does exactly this.

Yeah they do - should've mentioned that too. And I love Wyeast - it's my go to because my LHBS carries it almost exclusively. All about getting it fresh and not having to ship. But Denny's right (go figure), the yeast companies  definitely want to keep customers from buying from the competitor. Recommending their yeast for a dozen different styles is a good way.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 09:23:17 am »
Luckily I don't brew too many styles that need unique or specialized yeast strains. If I was depending on their recommendations for very strict styles I could see making a wrong choice.

As far as T-58 goes, I find it strange that a lot of people seem to use but there is not more information on what styles it is best for. Since I am a Belgian style novice I don't really know although it seems good for wits but I could be wrong there...

Maybe it's similar to their newer Abbaye in that they are hoping to cover a lot of styles but not really do any particularly well?

S. cerevisiae,  you around?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 09:27:17 am by goschman »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 09:33:20 am »

I understand. That's why its hard when you don't have experience with a certain yeast and they are telling you it can be used for something that it shouldn't. I guess that's why I come here but it still bugs me...

That a particular strain could be used for a given style does not mean it's the best strain but for people who go into a HBS and want to brew that style and the HBS doesn't have the optimum strain there has to be some alternatives presented so those people don't go home empty-handed. I've seen more than a few shops either not sell the full WY or WL range or when they do the Chico variants are a few weeks off the production line but the alt yeast is six months out and past its expiration. As Denny said, the yeast labs are trying to sell a product.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing