Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP 644 genetic results  (Read 2088 times)

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
WLP 644 genetic results
« on: April 10, 2015, 09:00:42 am »
White Labs released their studies on wlp 644 "Brett Trois" and it is officially determined that it is a "wild Saccharomyces."

http://www.whitelabs.com/blog/wlp644-research-results

http://www.whitelabs.com/files/644_Explanation.pdf

Offline AmandaK

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Redbird Brewhouse
Re: WLP 644 genetic results
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 09:35:32 am »
Even more interesting is their release of WLP648 - which is speculated to be the BSI Drie Fonteinen strain. Sweet.
Amanda Burkemper
KC Bier Meisters Lifetime Member - KCBM 3x AHA Club of the Year!!
BJCP Assistant (to the) Midwest Rep
BJCP Grand Master/Mead/Cider

Our Homebrewed Wedding, AHA Article

cptnpenguin

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 12:10:32 pm »
Well this is most interesting.  I just pitched this last sunday into my Saison as a finisher.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 12:03:00 pm »
Props to White Labs for both doing the research to set this straight, and the transparency in reporting their results.

The more I think about this, the more excited I am at what this may end up meaning for the future of "wild" beer. As far as I am aware, this is the first commercially available "wild Saccharomyces" strain. This is a whole uncharted territory with a lot of potential. We're still just barely getting a handle on Brett. Who knows, maybe Wild Sacc will open up even more options.

Even more interesting is their release of WLP648 - which is speculated to be the BSI Drie Fonteinen strain. Sweet.

So was Brett Trois. I will remain cautious in my optimism.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 01:00:21 pm »
Regardless of this strain being brett or wild sacch. it still is a great one to brew with.  It is a fairly fast fermenter (IMObservations) and provides unique aroma and flavor characteristics that pair well with a variety of hops and malts. I have used it several times to brew blending beers for aged sours with great results.  Cool strain!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 01:34:51 pm »
Unfortunately, however, I used it in a Flanders Red that was put in an oak barrel, so now my barrel is what it is....on the good side I am blending, anyway, so the blends are able to minimize the Wild Sacc effect somewhat and I have generally liked the flavor, so there we go....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

cptnpenguin

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 02:53:53 pm »

Regardless of this strain being brett or wild sacch. it still is a great one to brew with.  It is a fairly fast fermenter (IMObservations) and provides unique aroma and flavor characteristics that pair well with a variety of hops and malts. I have used it several times to brew blending beers for aged sours with great results.  Cool strain!

When you say fast, how fast?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 12:35:26 pm »
Within a normal ale fermentation time frame given proper pitch rate and oxygenation.  Typically under 10 days FG has been reached.  Although I have seen the krausen stick around for longer than some normally do, but only on rare occasions. 

cptnpenguin

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 01:57:06 pm »
Have you used it as a secondary? If so approx time frame on that?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."