Author Topic: liquid equivalents of T-58  (Read 2952 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: liquid equivalents of T-58
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2015, 03:34:35 PM »
As far as T-58 goes, I find it strange that a lot of people seem to use but there is not more information on what styles it is best for. Since I am a Belgian style novice I don't really know although it seems good for wits but I could be wrong there...

With all due respect, why worry about what someone else likes?  Why not just take a leap, brew with it and see what YOU think?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online Iliff Ave Brewhouse

• Official Poobah of No Life.
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2015, 03:45:28 PM »
As far as T-58 goes, I find it strange that a lot of people seem to use but there is not more information on what styles it is best for. Since I am a Belgian style novice I don't really know although it seems good for wits but I could be wrong there...

With all due respect, why worry about what someone else likes?  Why not just take a leap, brew with it and see what YOU think?

That's actually how I approach most of my brewing. This is more out of curiosity since Fermentis is so horrible with accurately describing their strains. I will let it go.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 03:52:55 PM by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: Maibock, Spiced Copper, Iliff IPA, G Pils

Fermenting: American Strong w/Cherry
Up Next: Red Rye, Dunkel

Online Iliff Ave Brewhouse

• Official Poobah of No Life.
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 10:14:00 PM »
"Thank you for contacting Fermentis.

I will be happy to help you out.  Yeast is a living organism, so I can only give you information on “standard” brews.  Safbrew T-58 typically produces Belgian-type character.  It is known to produce a spicy, peppery flavor when used within our recommended pitch rates.  It also produces an interesting ester/phenol profile that is why I say Belgian-type character.  It has a lower attenuation and a high alcohol tolerance, so it is well suited for higher alcohol beers, leaving some residual sugar to balance the high alcohol.  When used in lower alcohol beers, it will produce a full pallet beer, typical of Belgian beers." 

On Tap/Bottled: Maibock, Spiced Copper, Iliff IPA, G Pils

Fermenting: American Strong w/Cherry
Up Next: Red Rye, Dunkel