Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: distilled water question  (Read 1800 times)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
distilled water question
« on: April 14, 2015, 03:28:16 pm »
I'm planning to do a 1.100 three gallon batch then adding water to get a 1.050 six gallon batch.
Can I just add distilled water straight or do I still need to boil the water before adding it after the mash?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: distilled water question
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 03:34:47 pm »
In theory, bottled water is sanitary. I have added purified and distilled water without ill effects in the past.

Offline davidgzach

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 03:47:20 pm »
I used tap water for years back in my extract days.  I have good municipal water though not well....

Dave
Dave Zach

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 04:04:55 pm »
It should be fine to add distilled water to the kettle. It should be free of significant contaminants. I would be cautious if you were added that water directly to the fermenter since there is a remote possibility that it contains microbes.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 05:15:08 pm »
What about dissolved oxygen levels in bottled water (distilled or spring) when adding it post boil?  Is there any in there?

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 05:26:37 pm »
It should be fine to add distilled water to the kettle. It should be free of significant contaminants. I would be cautious if you were added that water directly to the fermenter since there is a remote possibility that it contains microbes.

It would go in post kettle, pre fermentation, perhaps chilled to help get the whole batch down to yeast pitching temperature.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2015, 11:11:50 pm »
I know that you were saying you were considering using distilled, but for others who might be thinking about it, topping up with unboiled tap water is a prime cause of chlorophenolic off flavors. 

Make sure you remove the chlorine by boiling, using metabisulfates (powdered or campden tablets), or charcoal filtering (very slowly - too fast and the chlorine makes it through).
Chloramine is even harder to remove - boiling doesn't volatize it out.  filtering must really be slow but metabisulfates work better.  1 half of an aspirin sized tablet will treat about 10 gallons of water.

HTH-
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 06:57:28 am »
What's even better is if you can keep your jugs of distilled water chilled. You can even freeze one and cut it out of the jug to help cool the wort.

I'd say the risk of infection is minimal, less than exposing the chilled wort to the surrounding air.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 10:34:21 am »
What's even better is if you can keep your jugs of distilled water chilled. You can even freeze one and cut it out of the jug to help cool the wort.

Just what I was planning.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women