Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why are corny keg posts different? Why not switch them to all liquid posts?  (Read 4040 times)

Offline beerandloathing

• 1st Kit
This may have been answered already, but I haven't been able to find a good answer...

I know that the corny keg posts are different, but I don't know why it was ever setup this way. Most kegs are labeled inlet and outlet so you can tell which post/disconnect belongs where, but I don't know why.

I recently inherited a new keg that has two liquid posts installed and caused some difficulty when I used it for the first time since I didn't realize it. Once I figured it out, I got to thinking. Why not convert all of my kegs to liquid only posts and never run into issues again? Is there any good reason not to do this besides having to buy new parts?

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
This may have been answered already, but I haven't been able to find a good answer...

I know that the corny keg posts are different, but I don't know why it was ever setup this way. Most kegs are labeled inlet and outlet so you can tell which post/disconnect belongs where, but I don't know why.

I recently inherited a new keg that has two liquid posts installed and caused some difficulty when I used it for the first time since I didn't realize it. Once I figured it out, I got to thinking. Why not convert all of my kegs to liquid only posts and never run into issues again? Is there any good reason not to do this besides having to buy new parts?

Primarily I think it's to avoid the possibility of inadvertently hooking the wrong QDs to the wrong posts even if they are labeled on the keg, just takes one easy error out of the equation. I know that I've tried to hook the wrong lines to the wrong posts on more than one occasion once the keg goes in the kegerator and the fact that the posts are different saved me from having a potential problem.
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
If you connect the gas line to a high pressure or recently jostled keg, you could foul your lines, regulator, and tank. For a homebrewer this may not be a huge deal, but for a restaurant using legs of pre-mix soda syrup, it could be a huge head ache.

Live on the edge and roll with it.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
I don't have any real information on this just experience with with large systems and support. 

Standards help avoid mistakes in fast moving environments so making the 2 posts different is an easy way to avoid errors out in the field.  At he homebrewer level it probably isn't important but on the scale these containers were designed for it likely solved some big issues along the way. 

One idea comes to mind might be in a commercial system.  Imagine a restaurant with 15 different sodas on the line that are stored in a room in the back.  The CO2 tank is outside in a cage.  You would need to manage up to 30 lines that may or may not have labels on them.  With identical ends you have no obvious way to identify inputs and outputs.  Maintenance would involve tracing lines (through walls, under fixtures, etc.) every time there was a problem.  At least if you can easily tell the difference between gas and soda you can save some time trouble shooting.

IMHO

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing

Of the four kegs I have I am 99.999% sure there are no labels on the kegs identifying which post is which and even if there were labels there is always the chance that after cleaning I accidentally reverse the tubes.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
The "in" posts for gas are notched and/or serrated around where you would fasten a wrench to tighten or loosen it.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
On some of my kegs, the liquid posts and gas posts are not the same thread size and so are not interchangeable.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE

Of the four kegs I have I am 99.999% sure there are no labels on the kegs identifying which post is which and even if there were labels there is always the chance that after cleaning I accidentally reverse the tubes.

Most of my kegs are scribed "in" on the gas side.  Not all.  Others have a bump or a divot on the rubber handle.  I assume the bump means "out" and the divot means "in" but I've not tested that theory since it just came to me as I was typing this.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Most of my kegs are scribed "in" on the gas side.  Not all.  Others have a bump or a divot on the rubber handle.  I assume the bump means "out" and the divot means "in" but I've not tested that theory since it just came to me as I was typing this.

+1.  Most of mine are scribed "IN" for gas, "OUT" for beer. Different threads for in and out, too.

Jon H.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Well I have managed to drunkenly force the gas QD onto the liquid-out post...

Filled my gas line partially up and it was a real b!tch to get back off again. >:(

Conversely, I've also connected the liquid QD onto the gas-in post and wondered why the beer wasn't just-a-flowin...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Well I have managed to drunkenly force the gas QD onto the liquid-out post...

Filled my gas line partially up and it was a real b!tch to get back off again. >:(

Conversely, I've also connected the liquid QD onto the gas-in post and wondered why the beer wasn't just-a-flowin...
If you haven't done something similar to this while kegging, you're simply not enjoying your beer correctly.