Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation and Dry Hopping  (Read 5508 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Fermentation and Dry Hopping
« on: April 15, 2015, 01:17:49 pm »
A couple of quick questions about my current beer in the fermenter. I'm pleasantly surprised that after 72 hours or so, this pale ale has gone from 1.050 down to 1.010. I know many of you have said to dry hop while a little bit of fermentation is still going on. Would now work?

Secondly, I know gravity is just an estimate, but this beer started slightly lower than the estimated 1.052. The final gravity estimation was 1.013. Is a lower FG normally associated with a lower mash and drier beer?

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Fermentation and Dry Hopping
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 01:25:03 pm »
Justin, I think if you start lower than expected, you should expect to finish lower as well, but not 100% sure on that. You can probably get away with dry hopping now, but I have never really checked the gravity on any of my brews before they had been working for at least a week, if not 2. Should not cause a problem to do it now, just not familiar territory for me. What yeast got you here this fast?
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 01:46:18 pm »
Good old WLP 001 and a starter, or was it some commercial yeast slurry from a local brewery? Muhhhhahaahh.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 02:24:37 pm »
I have discovered unpleasant interactions between dry hops and yeast so dry hopping is one of the few times that I use a secondary.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 02:30:05 pm »
Good old WLP 001 and a starter, or was it some commercial yeast slurry from a local brewery? Muhhhhahaahh.

you using kegs yet? rack to keg and then dry hop. otherwise rack and dry hop, then bottle.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 02:34:41 pm »
I will cold crash to get as much yeast settled as possible and then dry hop in the primary. I have keg hopped too with good success.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 02:42:54 pm »
I'm STILL bottling! Hmm, the last two responses are different than what I'm use to seeing here. I thought previously people were dry hopping with some fermentation left. I also have never used a secondary, although this is for a competition so I would consider it.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 02:45:17 pm »
I'm STILL bottling! Hmm, the last two responses are different than what I'm use to seeing here. I thought previously people were dry hopping with some fermentation left. I also have never used a secondary, although this is for a competition so I would consider it.

not me..... i'd rack to bottling bucket/secondary  and dry hop, then bottle. i let the beer finish, rack it to keg and dry hop there.

EDIT: FWIW, I may rack to keg and then wait to dry hop until about a week or so before I m ready to tap the keg...then I dry hop and leave it in keg through the end. (they don't tend to last long)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 02:50:55 pm by Wort-H.O.G. »
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 03:03:16 pm »

not me..... i'd rack to bottling bucket/secondary  and dry hop, then bottle. i let the beer finish, rack it to keg and dry hop there.

EDIT: FWIW, I may rack to keg and then wait to dry hop until about a week or so before I m ready to tap the keg...then I dry hop and leave it in keg through the end. (they don't tend to last long)

Ken, you're killing me...

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 03:45:52 pm »
I let the beer finish completely, dry hop for 5-7 days and then crash, all in primary, always liked the results regardless of keg or bottle, in fact I'm sitting on my IPA that's just about done, hoping tonight to get the dry hops going
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2015, 04:04:24 pm »

Ken, you're killing me...

ha! well one thing i know you've heard me and others say....there's more than one way to get there. give it a try a few ways and see what you like and works best for you.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army

Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2015, 04:27:11 pm »

+2.  I dry hop in keg, too. About 5 days, then chill/carb. Like you say, if it's a lager I plan to dry hop, I wait until ~ a week before I plan to serve. I like being able to add more dry hops to a keg when the aroma drops off, too.

EDIT - And +1 that there are lots of ways to hop your wort and dry hop your beer. Gotta experiment to find out whatcha like.
Jon H.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2015, 04:58:04 pm »
I have discovered unpleasant interactions between dry hops and yeast so dry hopping is one of the few times that I use a secondary.
I agree, though I can't say with certainty what negative effects are necessarily predictable.  I've successfully dry hopped over yeast cakes, and ive had some that came out with odd flavors, and on occasion they just refuse to drop clear (as in ubber murky).

I dont see a benefit in the quality of the finished product when compared to dry hopping in secondary. At best they are equal. After my last beer that was dry hopped in the primary, which refused to drop clear even with gel fining, im not going to do primary dry hopping any more.

By the way, if I dry hopped frequently, this is one area where a conical with a bottom valve would be handy. Drop the yeast, then add dry hops.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2015, 05:18:50 pm »
I have never picked up any off-flavors from dry hopping in the primary in presence of yeast.  In fact, I tend to get a fairly strong hop aroma in this fashion.  Although I do use about 6 oz per 5 gallons as a typical IPA dry hop regimen. 

Dry hopping in the primary also minimizes cleaning/sanitizing, racking, and time which I don't have much of with 2 little ones in the house and a commute to work daily. 

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2015, 07:52:37 pm »
Vinnie Ciluzo says drop the yeast and dry hop. Matt Brynildson says dry hop with 1-2.P to go. I have read that either linalool or geranoil increase in level during fermentation.

Play with the variables, see what you like.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!