Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: almost a lost year brewing  (Read 9778 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: almost a lost year brewing
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2015, 06:22:29 am »
This is the first mention of the aquarium pump for aeration. How are you filtering the air going into the wort? If there is not a sterile filter between the pump and the wort a resident bacteria inside the pump could be the cause. We will see I guess once this current experiment runs it's course.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2015, 06:24:44 am »
The strangest thing I see is that you continue to worry about what your fermentation looks like. Seriously. Relax about that.

+1

Looks normal to me.  You really need to leave the bucket closed to maintain your "clean" environment in the fermentor.  It's like watching water boil, it doesn't go faster if you are watching.

Paul

+2
Jon H.

Offline larsmm

• Cellarman
« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2015, 06:32:03 am »
This is the first mention of the aquarium pump for aeration. How are you filtering the air going into the wort? If there is not a sterile filter between the pump and the wort a resident bacteria inside the pump could be the cause. We will see I guess once this current experiment runs it's course.

This is the first time I use an aquarium pump. Because I couldn't get a filter on time, I put the pump inside a small box (previously I'd shot it with Star San) and cover the box with a piece of fabric soaked of alcohol.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2015, 08:00:37 am »

This is the first time I use an aquarium pump. Because I couldn't get a filter on time, I put the pump inside a small box (previously I'd shot it with Star San) and cover the box with a piece of fabric soaked of alcohol.

Personally, I would have just skipped the pump if it didn't have the micron filter on it.  But, we'll see what happens.

Good luck and best wishes.  I hope you get beer that you can enjoy.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline pacmar

• 1st Kit
« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2015, 12:17:34 pm »
I've just taken a sample to measure gravity and... there is no signal of contamination.

I need to wait a bit more before put it in the fridge but I'm so happy. Thanks a lot to all of you

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2015, 03:15:27 pm »
For what it is worth, I found that my Abbaye ale yeast beer improves with aging...a few months is not out of the question, but given your situation and bad experiences just save a few bottles for aging and go ahead and drink it young.  Cheers dude!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2015, 03:44:58 pm »
That's great!

Enjoy the fruits of your efforts!  Way to stick with it!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline larsmm

• Cellarman
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2015, 04:32:46 am »
For what it is worth, I found that my Abbaye ale yeast beer improves with aging...a few months is not out of the question, but given your situation and bad experiences just save a few bottles for aging and go ahead and drink it young.  Cheers dude!

No problem. I divided the batch in two, and the picture was taken of the batch pitched with Safale 04. This part of the batch is gonna be bottled and drunk as soon as possible. The other sample, pitched with Abbaye, was found more "inmature", so I'll let it get older. Thanks.

Offline larsmm

• Cellarman
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2015, 04:52:19 am »
That's great!

Enjoy the fruits of your efforts!  Way to stick with it!

Paul

Thank you, Paul. Thank you to everyone who has helped me. I followed most of your advices and others I'd like to share with you. A couple of days before the brewday I was talking with a friend of a friend, who works in a biothecnology company. I explained him my problem and told him I had bought an ozonizer. He suggested me that I could saturate water with ozone and them use this water to clean all the stuff and all the surfaces of the brewplace, including floor, walls, ceilling and, above all, doors and windows, taking care of those metallic parts, as brew kettles and valves (he told me I should soak them for 10 minutes at maximun, cause ozone can damage stainless steel), but I wouldn't care about plastic or glass items. So I did what he told me, then I rinsed with water and finally I soaked with Star San and drained. Furthermore, I ozonized the brewplace during several hours.

I don't know if ozone has been the core of the lack of infection (I keep my fingers crossed), but I've thought some of you can find it interesting.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2015, 03:14:40 pm »
So glad to hear you are on the way to enjoying a beer!! Cheers!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010