Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anxiety of Kegging  (Read 3580 times)

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
Anxiety of Kegging
« on: April 16, 2015, 08:07:11 pm »
So I just started kegging this winter and am on my second batch in the keg. The first batch was good but the second was one of the best beers I have made, a really nice IPA. I know I am getting to the end of the keg and every time I pour a beer it could be the last. I feel nervous and will miss this beer. Good thing I just bought more hops to brew it again this summer.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Anxiety of Kegging
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 08:25:57 pm »
That's awesome! Its good to brew a beer you love. It's also good to savor the bitter sweet feeling when the keg blows. Its good when people are sad that it's gone. My high school drama teacher always said "leave them wanting more". It's sad but not as sad as wondering when the hell this crappy keg will kick, if ever. Good for you!

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 08:35:22 pm »
The good always die young...
Dan Chisholm

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 09:02:52 pm »
Rule #1: The beer in the keg will always achieve the perfect balance of flavor, carbonation, and clarity about 2 or 3 pints before it blows.  ;)  RDWHAHB and build up an inventory.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 05:45:08 am »
Rule #1: The beer in the keg will always achieve the perfect balance of flavor, carbonation, and clarity about 2 or 3 pints before it blows.  ;)  RDWHAHB and build up an inventory.

It's sad but not as sad as wondering when the hell this crappy keg will kick, if ever.

^^^^^     Golfbum, I bet you'll like your re-brew of it even better. Nice job !
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 06:57:45 am »
That's the one downside to kegging, you are never really sure how much beer is left. In the bottle, it's easy to see what you have left and can plan ahead to re-brew something but in the keg, it's wild ass guess!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 06:59:38 am »
I know, it's always such a bummer. My lagers are tasty from the day I tap them, but those last few pints are as clear at the German lagers I strive to make. I just wish the whole keg could be like that.
Jesse

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 07:28:10 am »
I know, it's always such a bummer. My lagers are tasty from the day I tap them, but those last few pints are as clear at the German lagers I strive to make. I just wish the whole keg could be like that.

Gelatin after cold crashing the primary. It really works and you will get your wish.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 07:31:53 am »
Gelatin after cold crashing the primary. It really works and you will get your wish.

Definitely works as advertised.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 11:34:40 am »

+1....Totally.

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 01:44:42 pm »

+1....Totally.
+1
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 02:22:16 pm »

+1....Totally.
+1

So true.  We were having a party and a guest came up raving about how clear his glass of beer was.  I told him to enjoy it, it's probably about to blow.  The next guy came up and said the O-fest just blew.  Everybody looked at me like I was nuts and all I could do was laugh.

paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline GolfBum

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lakewood, CO
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 07:48:41 pm »

I did notice that they are getting clearer. Which I like, but now that I know this bit of information I know that kegs days are numbered.

Offline inbituinthebrew

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 10:08:57 am »
That's the one downside to kegging, you are never really sure how much beer is left. In the bottle, it's easy to see what you have left and can plan ahead to re-brew something but in the keg, it's wild ass guess!

Does anyone know of anything similar for homebrewers to what the breweries and pubs use, which shows the amounts left in each keg? There has to be a solution out there somewhere... right?
Alex B.

Currently reading: tbd

Bottled: Currently supporting local breweries

Fermenter: American Hefe

Up Next: Good Ol' American IPA

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 10:13:46 am »
There's something you can tape to the side called a Smartstrip or similar.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis