Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: keg conditioning with priming sugar  (Read 8642 times)

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
keg conditioning with priming sugar
« on: April 17, 2015, 08:34:39 am »
I have done quite a bit of research, but I can't find a definitive answer for carbonating with priming sugar in the keg. I don't have much room in the fridge to force carb right now, so I thought I could just do it at room temperature with priming sugar.

The question is how much. There is conflicting information about whether to use the same (proportional) amount as with bottling, or less, because of the head space. Anyone want to pipe in?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: keg conditioning with priming sugar
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 09:32:18 am »
You don't have to force carb in the fridge, if that's what you'd rather do.  I seldom do.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 10:02:36 am »
The problem with carbonating with sugar rather than force carbonating is that the keg loses its seal when not under pressure.  The slow production of CO2 by yeast will not seal it.  At least that has been my experience.  Even if you pressurize the keg at the beginning, the beer will absorb the CO2faster than the yeast can produce it so it will lose its seal.
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 10:18:18 am »
You don't have to force carb in the fridge, if that's what you'd rather do.  I seldom do.

That's a good point, but I was also hoping not to tie up the co2 while it's carbing.

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2015, 10:19:38 am »
The problem with carbonating with sugar rather than force carbonating is that the keg loses its seal when not under pressure.  The slow production of CO2 by yeast will not seal it.  At least that has been my experience.  Even if you pressurize the keg at the beginning, the beer will absorb the CO2faster than the yeast can produce it so it will lose its seal.

Also a good point, but I am using a 1/2 bbl sanke keg for carbing, so I don't have to worry about sealing the lid. After it is carbed I plan on chilling and transferring the beer to three corny kegs.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2015, 10:22:51 am »

That's a good point, but I was also hoping not to tie up the co2 while it's carbing.

Apply 25-30 psi.  Shake like crazy until the hissing stops.  Let it sit a few days for the CO2 to go into solution.  That's it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2015, 10:58:22 am »
It will still take about 2 weeks for the carbonation to become 'fine'. That is controlled by the hydration of the CO2 and it is a time-dependent process. Get the gas in and give it time. In the mean time, you can still enjoy the beer with coarse carbonation.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2015, 11:42:06 am »
Calculate what you would use for bottling, cut it in half and naturally carb in the keg, 10-14 days at 70+ will carb nicely.

You may have to adjust the pressure or degas a bit once in the kegerator to get a good pour but this method has always served me well.

I would suggest purging the keg with co2 and be sure to blast some co2 to seal the lid well
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 11:54:20 am »
Calculate what you would use for bottling, cut it in half and naturally carb in the keg, 10-14 days at 70+ will carb nicely.

You may have to adjust the pressure or degas a bit once in the kegerator to get a good pour but this method has always served me well.

I would suggest purging the keg with co2 and be sure to blast some co2 to seal the lid well

I have heard to cut it in half, but it always seemed like conjecture, thanks for the real world example.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 12:25:21 pm »
I thought the same early on but it works well, cheers!
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 12:30:06 pm »
I use priming sugar in all my kegs (unless I'm in a major rush) and it works fine.

I add 1/3 cup of corn sugar after boiling it to a 5 gal keg.  All I ever do is pour the sugar water in the empty keg and rack the beer in on top.  Close up the keg and seat the lid with CO2.  Then I just put in the storage coloset until I need it.  I have only had one or to not hold their seal and they have leaky poppets that needed to be fixed.

YMMV

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 01:02:22 pm »
When I prime with sugar there is an initial filling @ 45psi to seat the lid and there are no problems concerning the seal. FWIW I always seat the seal "wet" as there are less issues that way.

It's a pretty practical way to carb in the keg. However, if you just hook up a cold keg at 45psi for 12 or more hours you can start drinking it the next day. I'll turn it down to serving levels that'll maintain the desired fizz before going to bed.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2015, 10:01:11 am »
I just bought two extra kegs so I can start doing this and have a carbed up keg ready to go as the other kegs finish
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903