Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer soap?  (Read 3366 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Beer soap?
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 05:47:09 am »
Two years ago I built new trellises for my hops and came into a lot of contact with the bines while training them up the trellis. Half an hour or so later I had hives over 3/4 of my body. I won't be using hops soap.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 06:35:05 am »
Interesting how old threads get revived.

I made a batch of soap with hops a while back. The hops oxidized and turn the soap brown and there was zero hops aroma (I used cascade pellets). The soap turned out fine and the hops made it nice and exfoliating, but otherwise it was a waste of hops. I think you would have to use concentrated oil to get some aroma.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 09:26:30 am »
You gotta be careful putting organic material in your soap such as leaves or fruit or the like. It can get moldy as previously mentioned.

I haven't had this problem using oatmeal or dried basil flowers for their scrubbing properties, but I keep the amounts fairly low.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis