Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Newbie question - krausen  (Read 5628 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Newbie question - krausen
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2015, 06:25:54 am »
You've been told numerous times already not to rack to a secondary, which I'd like to echo. I've also done an exBEERiment on the topic, perhaps you'll find it interesting:

http://brulosophy.com/2014/08/12/primary-only-vs-transfer-to-secondary-exbeeriment-results/
You didn't oxidize or infect the beer?  :o

Had to say that, as it is the new dogma against secondaries, the old dogma for secondaries was to prevent autalysis off favors and clear the beer.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2015, 06:27:48 am »

You've been told numerous times already not to rack to a secondary, which I'd like to echo. I've also done an exBEERiment on the topic, perhaps you'll find it interesting:

http://brulosophy.com/2014/08/12/primary-only-vs-transfer-to-secondary-exbeeriment-results/
You didn't oxidize or infect the beer?  :o

Had to say that, as it is the new dogma against secondaries, the old dogma for secondaries was to prevent autalysis off favors and clear the beer.
Ha. Nah, they were the same.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2015, 09:33:41 am »
What about properly rehydrated dry yeast? How "safe" is that from autolysis? I don't typically use dry yeast, but I've got a US-05 beer that's been in primary waiting for life to calm down.

Despite being propagated via a very well controlled industrial process, dry yeast is effectively dehydrated lab grown yeast.  Most of the cells have little in the way of bud scars.

S. cerevisiae

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2015, 10:05:09 am »

Yep, the autolysis bogeyman has been replaced by the oxidation bogeyman.  Based on the average age of the pitched yeast cells, autolysis can be potential problem.  The threat of oxidation when racking from a primary to a secondary is close to nil, as there are far too many yeast cells in suspension at that point.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 11:33:59 am by S. cerevisiae »