Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using your back yard creek  (Read 3534 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Using your back yard creek
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2015, 07:09:11 pm »
I would still be afraid of the possibility of chemical pollution within the creek.  The EPA has made a lot of progress in cleaning the waterways but if someone handed me a beer made with water straight from, say, the Cuyahoga River here in N.E. Ohio (which runs just a mile from my house) he wouldn't appreciate my response.  After all, it wasn't that many years ago that the Cuyahoga caught fire.

With that said, there are a pair of videos on Youtube by Glenn who lives in, I believe, Denmark.  He saw a documentary on 'how beer saved the world' and tried his own experiment.  Using water from his backyard fish pond, he brewed a batch of beer.  The point was to show brewing beer purified the (non-chemical polluted) water so as to be safe to drink.  Back in the day, drinking beer was much safer than drinking water.  His fish pond, however, was a closed system, unlike a creek where you have no idea what might have gone into that creek upstream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-SEFCOAIjc
this is a good point. If you can be confident there is no chemical polution the beer making process takes care of everything else safety wise. that by no means means its good water taste wise for any given beer style.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2015, 10:59:28 pm »
I saw that video. Bamforth used water from a filthy duckpond. The beer was a hit.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Stevie

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 11:14:45 pm »

I saw that video. Bamforth used water from a filthy duckpond. The beer was a hit.
Must be the same thing I saw.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 11:44:38 pm »
Ok, then Duck Fever. But either way, using creek or pond water is going to end in you being a fan of one of these schools.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2015, 06:53:12 am »
The point to all of that is why people drank beer in the first place. Most water available you didn't even want touching your skin.

So apart from chemical contamination, heavy metals and the like I wouldn't be afraid of pathogens from the creek as a source for your brew water.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 08:29:45 am »
I'm sure the brewers in California are looking at ways to become more creative with their available water and may even be looking at cleaning up and reusing their waste water like this:  http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2015/01/28/381920192/why-dump-treated-wastewater-when-you-could-make-beer-with-it

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2015, 08:53:52 am »
Ok, then Duck Fever. But either way, using creek or pond water is going to end in you being a fan of one of these schools.

Easy there Jim,

GO DUCKS! :)
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2015, 08:57:06 am »
There was a Brewing TV episode where they used straight lake water and they said they couldn't tell it was brewed with lake water. So, it could probably be done in the OP's case.
Jesse

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 11:12:37 am »
There could be plenty of things you wouldn't want to drink in that surface water that you can't taste... I'm not saying the beer wouldn't taste good... Just maybe it's not the wisest idea.  I'm sure doing it once and having maybe a pint of it and sharing it all out would be fine.. but maybe not so great for you if you drink it all yourself or do it frequently for all your beers... 

I could just be paranoid about what these companies put into our air and water (and therefore rain).  But I don't trust it.  Then there is also organic pollutants like animal feces and decaying animal bodies etc... YMMV is all i'm saying. 
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 11:19:47 am »
I agree, Dan.  For me, it wouldn't be worth it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2015, 11:32:50 am »
Unless there is some mining activity upstream, I wouldn't worry about your creek's water being polluted.  Definitely get it tested, though, for common ions.  I once brewed a brown ale with water from a friend's flowing well and it tasted terrible - I later learned that the water had a high iron content, although it tasted alright to drink.

As others pointed out, boiling the water will take care of any concerns.  It's the coolness factor.  8)

Offline DW

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2015, 05:56:46 pm »
For now I think I'll just say screw it.  I guess I could walk up the creek as far as I could to see if anything looks suspicous.  Would Ward labs be able to tell me if there were pollutants?  From a practicality standpoint, taking water from my creek makes no sense.  From a novelty standpoint, it seems worthwhile. Kinda like how breweries/distilleries bragg about their own water source.  I could, in essence, makes a faulty boast that my beer was sourced from the crystal NC mountain streams, therefore it must taste delicous, etc. 

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2015, 07:21:39 pm »
For now I think I'll just say screw it.  I guess I could walk up the creek as far as I could to see if anything looks suspicous.  Would Ward labs be able to tell me if there were pollutants?  From a practicality standpoint, taking water from my creek makes no sense.  From a novelty standpoint, it seems worthwhile. Kinda like how breweries/distilleries bragg about their own water source.  I could, in essence, makes a faulty boast that my beer was sourced from the crystal NC mountain streams, therefore it must taste delicous, etc.
I believe ward can do pollutants. Just keep in mind that they can't predict what might be dumped in it later, or what critter might die in it...

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2015, 08:25:12 pm »
..or if someone living along the same stream has cousin Eddie over and he dumps his waste tank into it.
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2015, 08:27:23 pm »
..or if someone living along the same stream has cousin Eddie over and he dumps his waste tank into it.
Black Tank IPA?