Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: South Carolina Mountain Region and Tennessee Trip  (Read 1684 times)

Offline akwarmike

• 1st Kit
South Carolina Mountain Region and Tennessee Trip
« on: May 08, 2015, 11:36:01 pm »
Just got back home from a two weeks trip to South Carolina, Tennessee, and Georgia.  Sampled lot's of great food and lots of great beer (and Whiskey).

Started in Pickens/Greenville South Carolina area, first stop was at Brewery 85 (Pretty good Helles Bock called BA Quittin" Time) and of course the IPA was good stuff (GVL IPA 60 IBU's and 7.0 ABV).  Then we stopped at Quest Brewing and tried the Smoked Porter (Smoking Mirror)  and IPA (Ellida - 82 IBU's and 6.9 ABV).  Last but not least was Thomas Creek Brewery and this was my least favorite.  Yeah they had lot's of varieties but seems much more commercial than the other two breweries.  Their River Falls Red Ale was by far the best (2010 GABF Silver Medal Winner), Classic 5 IPA was good and the Trifecta IPA was better.  Last but not least was Blue Ridge Brewing, their motto is: •In all things, practice moderation. Except with regard to beer, ale, and whiskey.  That sold me.  They had a good Pale Ale (Colonel Paris) and an exceptional stout (XXX Total Eclipse).  Locals can join the Ugly Mugs Club, check it out if you live close.  We also hit the Dark Corner Distillery sampling several really good spirits.  Some of my top choices were Lewis Redmond Carolina Bourbon Whiskey, Stumphouse Whiskey, and of course their Moonshine Corn Whiskey.  Definitely a place worth stopping and sampling at. 

Next we were off to Tennessee via North Carolina - Stops included Southern Appalachian Brewery in Hendersonville, Thirsty Monk Pub and Brewery in Asheville, Lexington Avenue Brewery, Breen Man Brewing, Twin Leaf Brewing, High Wire Brewing, and Wicked Weed Brewing all in Asheville.  Thee were still 5 or 6 breweries in the area but we simply ran out of time. My fave was from Wicked Weed a toss up between the Freak of Nature Double IPA and Tyrant Double Red IPA.  Whiskey sampling included Midnight Moons Junior Johnson Original and Troy and Sons Platinum at Asheville Distilling.

Tennessee was more of a Whiskey state than a beer state but we still samples at Smokey Mountain Brewery in Knoxville, Calf Killer Brewery outside of Sparta, Black Abbey Brewing in Nashville, and Turtle Anarchy Brewing in Franklin.  The Portly Stout at Turtle Anarchy and Potus 44 Porter from Black Abbey were by far the best sampled. Whiskey sampled worth buying included Popcorn Suttons Original White Whiskey, George Dickel #12 and Barrel Select (bought both when I got home), and Chattanooga Whiskey's 1816 Cask.

I'll be back later to tell about the Georgia and South Carolina Lowcountry.
Homebrewing since 1998

On Tap: Zero Dark Thirty (Cascadian Dark Ale)
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Next Up: Banane Hängematte (Bavarian Hefeweizen)

BEER IS PROOF GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY - Ben Franklin

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: South Carolina Mountain Region and Tennessee Trip
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 06:00:16 am »
Sounds like a nice trip - way more than 5 or 6 more to try in the Asheville area.
http://ncbeer.brewerymap.com/
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 10:33:40 am »
Interested in your take on the LowCountry, since that's where I'm at.  We have a new one opening this week in Bluffton.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline akwarmike

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 06:23:50 am »
Interested in your take on the LowCountry, since that's where I'm at.  We have a new one opening this week in Bluffton.

Really like the area, we stayed on Hilton Head and had some great food, really nice place.  Wasn't too impressed with Hilton Head Brewing, but I did like a lot of the brews from Savannah and Charleston areas.  New opening this week?
Homebrewing since 1998

On Tap: Zero Dark Thirty (Cascadian Dark Ale)
Fermenting:
Conditioning:
Next Up: Banane Hängematte (Bavarian Hefeweizen)

BEER IS PROOF GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY - Ben Franklin

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 07:49:24 am »
Too bad I didn't know you were in the area.  HHB brewer used to be in our club.  Would like to hear your detailed comments on his beers.  (PM please).

New opening is Southern Barrel this Friday.  Brewer has solid background.  Test batches are real good.

Hope that you went to Moon River.  Home of the Savannah Brewers League.  Also, hope you stopped at Service Brewing.  Owner is a good friend, and I was the one to get him into homebrewing.
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC