Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kegs and CO2 Tanks  (Read 1311 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Kegs and CO2 Tanks
« on: April 19, 2015, 03:11:36 pm »
Where did you buy your keg and tanks from? I've seen the usual suspects (homebrew sites) that sell a basic setup for ~$265 or so for a 5 gallon new keg, 5 lb. CO2, regulator, and picnic faucet. I've also seen other sites that are not specifically for homebrewing that offer the same equipment.

FWIW, I plan on using the existing chest freezer (fermentation chamber) for the keg. I unfortunately don't have a dedicated kegerator at this point.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Kegs and CO2 Tanks
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 04:51:24 pm »
Where did you buy your keg and tanks from? I've seen the usual suspects (homebrew sites) that sell a basic setup for ~$265 or so for a 5 gallon new keg, 5 lb. CO2, regulator, and picnic faucet. I've also seen other sites that are not specifically for homebrewing that offer the same equipment.

FWIW, I plan on using the existing chest freezer (fermentation chamber) for the keg. I unfortunately don't have a dedicated kegerator at this point.
I bought 6 or 8 used kegs from MoreBeer.  They were terrible.  So bad, I elected to pay 100 bucks to ship them all back except one.  I bought some new kegs from MoreBeer.  They are the pricier versions made in Italy, not China.  I don't like paying more, but I do appreciate quality.  I can't find anything bad to say about them at all.  Really great kegs, just a little pricey.  My local shop sells 5 lb co2 tanks that they will fill so I bought 2. 

Offline quattlebaum

• Brewer
    • Wildhops
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 04:53:58 pm »
Co2 tank bought at local medical supply establishment (norco). It's SS. didnt need a fancy aluminum one. I just swap it out when empty. They can also put together a reasonable co2 regulator for ya if ya tell them what ya want. Kegs bought used locally. Bought some new 2 1/2 and 3 gal ones from northern brewer and Williams brewing.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 05:20:17 pm »
Kegs I source locally from a couple different people but hey are getting harder to find used, tanks I get from local welding supply, got a 5 and a 20, didn't really need the 20 but the dude didn't have 10's so he gave me the 20 and only charged me for the fill, I didn't complain and he keeps getting my business:)
Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 05:20:07 pm »
My first two came from my LHBS.  Then I got a couple of kegs from a buddy that were incomplete, & I outfitted them w/parts from the http://www.kegoutlet.com
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­