Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2nd time using a bourbon barrel  (Read 1108 times)

Offline ppbrewclub

• 1st Kit
  • PPBC Est. Sept 2012
    • Facebook: Pleasant Prairie Brew Club
2nd time using a bourbon barrel
« on: April 19, 2015, 07:38:06 am »
My brew club has decided to use our Wild Turkey bourbon barrel as a tertiary fir the second time. After we emptied it for the first batch we immediately filed it with water and bunged it. It has been about 13 months since we did this. We'd like to use it again. I have two questions

1.)  What other kits would be good with a bourbon taste?
2.) We plan on emptying the water out if the barrel and putting in a few bottles of bourbon and rotating it daily. Is this enough to be able to use it again sanitarially?

Was also thinking about adding run to it, however I think the rum + bourbon distillate would taste odd. But it was a thought.
Thx.
Drink your own beer

Offline Black Sands Brewery & Supply

• Assistant Brewer
  • Head Brewer - Black Sands
    • Black Sands
Re: 2nd time using a bourbon barrel
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 11:36:43 am »
did you fill it with hot water? if so, how hot was it? You left the water in there for 13 months? Once you empty it you might want to hit it again w/ hot water above 180F for a few minuets. Then add the bottles.

Higher gravity beers work well in bourbon, tripel, imp stout, barleywine etc... however as it will be the second use of the barrel it will be significantly less barrel character and could take a few extra weeks if not months longer to infuse the desired flavors into the beer. Lot's of other factors play into that, time, temp, humidity, how much "juice" is left in the wood etc...

IMO i would only add more wild turkey bourbon back to the barrel and zero Rum.

good luck!
Free recipes available for download on our website www.blacksandsbeer.com

Offline ppbrewclub

• 1st Kit
  • PPBC Est. Sept 2012
    • Facebook: Pleasant Prairie Brew Club
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 06:32:24 pm »
WE opened the barrel up tonight.  Looks like there was a lot of water that dissolved.  The bung had a little furry mold on it, and there was some vinegar stench. 
Drink your own beer

Offline dkfick

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 06:35:38 pm »
Yeah I'm sure the top of that barrel also has the mold on it... I don't want to say it's toast... but yeah I wouldn't be putting anything in it.

EDIT:  I did this same thing before except I didn't store mine with just water I used a kmeta/citric acid storage solution... and it still got moldy.  It's a rain barrel at my Dad's place now...
BJCP A0936 National Beer Judge and Mead Judge
Cicerone Certified Beer Server
AHA Member
CRAFT Homebrew Club
Sons of Liberty Homebrew Club
HBT "mors"

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 05:18:06 am »
ahh barrel ownership is like raising a child. there is no long rests. fill it, empty it and fill it again. you can store long term but you have ot use kmeta or similar chemicals and top it up all the time and change it regularly. Or let it dry out and hope it will seal again with soaking.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 08:29:01 am »
It would be nice to know what "verification" goes into this. I know that they want to get it right, but it shouldn't take a week to verify the winners for 650 entries. Most competitions are able to announce the same day. The only things I can think of that need actual verification are that the beers scored over 30 and were appropriately entered. There are enough stopgaps in place to prevent someone from gaming the system. Clarification on the verification process would really make the wait easier, it's been week now and for the entrance fee, it'd be nice if they'd prioritize this a bit more.

Uhhhh....I am going to guess you are in the wrong thread for this one.   ;)

Offline noblesquirrel

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 09:11:41 am »
It would be nice to know what "verification" goes into this. I know that they want to get it right, but it shouldn't take a week to verify the winners for 650 entries. Most competitions are able to announce the same day. The only things I can think of that need actual verification are that the beers scored over 30 and were appropriately entered. There are enough stopgaps in place to prevent someone from gaming the system. Clarification on the verification process would really make the wait easier, it's been week now and for the entrance fee, it'd be nice if they'd prioritize this a bit more.

Uhhhh....I am going to guess you are in the wrong thread for this one.   ;)

Ha, yep. Moving now.
Brian Eichhorn -BJCP #C0839
Grandmaster I/Mead Judge