Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: New Old World Hops?  (Read 1504 times)

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
New Old World Hops?
« on: April 19, 2015, 06:43:37 pm »
So I'm browsing around yakima valley hops and decided to try out some imports. After adding some Galaxy to my cart I started looking at a few new relatively new German varieites like Mandarina Bavaria, Halertaue Blanc, & Hull Melon. Has anyones experimented with any of theses (or any new UK varieties) and can comment on if the flavor can compare to the US/Australia stuff?

I was thinking it may be fun to do something like a hoppy pale ale with pilsner and a mix of German hops.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: New Old World Hops?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 02:16:22 am »
The all Mandarina Pale Ale was great, I am a big fan of that hop.

I have tested beers made with the melon and Blanc. The melon was interesting, the Blanc was not so good on my palate.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 05:52:33 am »
+1.  Mandarina is definitely the best of the bunch. It's excellent in APA, and I plan to try it in a cream ale, IPA and a few other styles as well. Melon is interesting - has melon and strawberry character to me. I wouldn't necessarily use it as a single hop beer, but it could bring something unique to the party in a hop blend. Blanc has a sort of a white grape character to me, and while overall I like it least of the three, I do want to use it in a saison, where the grape character would be pretty interesting with the tart, vinous character of a saison yeast.
Jon H.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 08:20:01 am »
Nice, last night I picked up ½# each of Mandarina Bavaria, Hull Melon, Boadicea-UK, and Galaxy.

Starting to lean towards brewing my first pils with the German ones (assuming I can close a deal on a cheap second chest freezer on craigslist), a low ABV Marris Otter Smash with the Boadicea (or maybe Boadicea and a bit of Galaxy), and an APA with the Galaxy.

Excited to give these a shot.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 08:35:26 am »
Nice, last night I picked up ½# each of Mandarina Bavaria, Hull Melon, Boadicea-UK, and Galaxy.

Starting to lean towards brewing my first pils with the German ones (assuming I can close a deal on a cheap second chest freezer on craigslist), a low ABV Marris Otter Smash with the Boadicea (or maybe Boadicea and a bit of Galaxy), and an APA with the Galaxy.

Yeah, I've been thinking of doing a 'German IPA' -  all German hops (Mandarina, Hull Melon and Saphir), German pils and Caravienne or Caramunich. Sounds fun.
Jon H.

Offline curtism1234

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 08:39:36 am »
I have used the mandarina a couple times now. I like it but it's nothing orange peel won't do imo.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 09:17:04 am »

Yeah, I've been thinking of doing a 'German IPA' -  all German hops (Mandarina, Hull Melon and Saphir), German pils and Caravienne or Caramunich. Sounds fun.

Yea, I've been bouncing around something like that, a pils, or an IPL. I imagine the duration of the lagering process would allow a lot of the hop aromatics to fade though.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 09:20:09 am »

Yea, I've been bouncing around something like that, a pils, or an IPL. I imagine the duration of the lagering process would allow a lot of the hop aromatics to fade though.

On the times I dry hop a lager, I wait until the lagering is mostly done - ie., a week or so before tapping, to dry hop. 
Jon H.

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 10:12:35 am »

On the times I dry hop a lager, I wait until the lagering is mostly done - ie., a week or so before tapping, to dry hop.
[/quote]

That makes sense, probably give that shot.