Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lagering advantage  (Read 1340 times)

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
Lagering advantage
« on: May 20, 2015, 09:23:16 am »
Does there come a point when lagering becomes ineffective? I have five gallons at 32 degrees for three months now. Is there any benefit to leaving it in the fridge longer?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Lagering advantage
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 09:42:18 am »
I'd say that at this point there is no advantage in terms of further lagering.  Of course, keeping it cold will help prolong the life of the beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 03:58:05 pm »
Does there come a point when lagering becomes ineffective? I have five gallons at 32 degrees for three months now. Is there any benefit to leaving it in the fridge longer?

What was the recipe? An imperial bock with a 1.140 O G would be better served by a longer lager period than a 1.050 pilsner.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 06:46:35 am »
It's a 1.048 Czech Pilsner.

rabeb25

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 08:19:58 am »
Get the beer to drinking status! Tradional German lager brewing recommends 1 week lagering per degree plato, so even by that you should be good to go now(with your 12 plato og).

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 12:33:57 pm »
The more frequently you brew your various lager recipes, the more you will figure out how long each of them should be lagered best.  For example, I brewed up a new recipe in Feb for a traditional bock that I have not brewed in about 5 years.  I had lagered it for about 6 wks prior to entering it in a local competition where it took a gold medal.  This week (about 3 months of lagering in the keg) I have found that it has reached its peak and tastes absolutely awesome (even better than when I originally had it judged at the comp).  So now I know the next time I brew it where the sweet spot for lagering is. 

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 12:41:27 pm »
Brulosopher has set the bar for me:

http://brulosophy.com/methods/lager-method/

Really works.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"