Author Topic: Brewer Bio: JT  (Read 1255 times)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
Brewer Bio: JT
« on: April 20, 2015, 02:53:55 AM »

There is already a “Joe” at my local club and even a “Joe T” on the forum, so JT will do!  I started home brewing in the spring of 2013, mostly out of curiosity although I may have foolishly claimed it would save me money...  I picked up an extract kit, made some very mediocre beer that was fermented too warm and I was hooked!  I immediately began chasing improvements and upgrades, never really focusing on where I was, only where I wanted to be.  All-grain, propane, bigger kettles and more questions soon followed.  

Like most of my hobbies, this has rather turned into an obsession and I recently moved my operation indoors to the basement.   I currently brew 5 gallon batches utilizing two 10 gallon kettles, Blichmann’s BoilCoils and a 10 gallon Igloo.  For good measure, I’m upgrading this system with a 3rd kettle and a RIMS Rocket just as soon as a few spare doohickeys and thingamabobs arrive.  Sites like brunwater, dennybrew, theelectricbrewery, themadfermentationist, basicbrewing, thebrewingnetwork, braukaiser, and many more have been a treasure trove of information coupled with forums like this.  Books are great (and I have quite a few), homebrew shops are great, clubs are great too, but I have to say I’ve learned at least as much if not more online.  I started out on NB’s forum but it wasn’t too long before I wanted a bit more and found the AHA.  I really like the attitude here, so thanks to those reading for contributing to that.

On a personal note I’m a dad of two awesome youngsters and husband to my wife Liz, who graciously puts up with all of this.  I’m a member of the AHA and Cincinnati Ohio’s Bloatarian Brewing League (actually writing this reminded me to go online and pay my dues).  I brew various styles and while there are MANY I have yet to try and tackle, there aren’t any that I want to stay away from.  I love the variety that beer brings.   

Today was a bit of a new experience for me as I began fermenting my first sour beer, which cautiously sits on the opposite side of the basement from my normal staging area.  This has all been a great ride so far and I keep learning more all the time.  Thanks to all that have helped out and shared their own experiences, I hope to raise a glass with you sometime!  

- JT

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Brewer Bio: JT
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 11:13:44 AM »
cheers JT! 'welcome' to the forum. glad to have you.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 11:25:38 AM »
Great to hear your story JT. Sooner or later we will meet up at a Bloat meeting. I started late spring of 2013 as well.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Ringler Pilsner (thanx Ron)
Conditioning: BVIP (thanx Denny)
In keg: Traquair House Clone (Skotrat style)
In the works:  Czech Dark Lager, American Pale Ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 12:05:01 PM »
Nice job, JT !  You're a good addition here.
Jon H.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 08:49:01 PM »
Good to hear from another Ohio bro.  I just started making sours about a year and a half ago and it's a new passion.
Dan Chisholm

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 10:42:58 AM »
Thanks for the kind words all.  Frank I should be at the next one, I'm guilty of skipping this last meeting.