Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental 06277 hops  (Read 2515 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Experimental 06277 hops
« on: April 04, 2015, 10:37:27 am »
I recently won a full pound of this new hop in a competition and have read some characteristic profiles online.  Has anyone here used this one?  If so, what did you think?

I will be using it for bittering (FWH) in my next IPA as well as for flavor/aroma (dry hop) additions. 

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Experimental 06277 hops
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 11:49:00 am »
I recently won a full pound of this new hop in a competition and have read some characteristic profiles online.  Has anyone here used this one?  If so, what did you think?

I will be using it for bittering (FWH) in my next IPA as well as for flavor/aroma (dry hop) additions. 

No, I haven't yet. I believe it's the hop sold as 'Nuggetzilla' by yakimavalleyhops.com. Supposed to be pineapple/citrus/spicy. Very high oil content (4.0-6.0) so they'd be pretty resiny. I wouldn't even blend it with anything - if that profile is accurate it could be pretty interesting alone. Plus that oil content would drown out most other hops. Be sure to post how it comes out !
Jon H.

Offline Dr Mindbender

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 12:30:28 pm »
If it is Nuggetzilla, I wasn't that impressed. Did a single hop with it, using my usual tried and true IPA recipe, that turned out very ho hum. There was a lot less pineapple than I was expecting and whole lot more stale hop flavor that overpowered the brew. Hopefully I just got my hands on a bad batch from Yakima Valley and you'll have much better results!

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 01:22:30 pm »
I definitely plan on smelling them before adding them to the kettle.  I may make some last minute subs if they come across as not strong in the aroma department.  Thanks for the feedback. 

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 08:09:55 am »
Quick update for everyone on this hop -

Used it in an AIPA as a FW hop and then at 10 min, 5 min, 0 min, and 2 oz for dryhopping.  Decided to dry hop with other hops as well simply because I too was unimpressed with the aroma profile upon opening the bag and during the boil, and upon tasting my FG hydrometer sample. 

This experimental hop IMO has a very dank, resinous quality to it.  It came across as earthy, and spicey with low characteristics of subtle oranges/lemons and even some faint tropical fruit (mostly pineapple, but very minimal). 
The heavy oils in this hop make it better suited for a bittering addition rather than in use for aroma or flavor contributions as it can quickly overpower the delicate nature of better aroma hops that are more typically enjoyed in a delicious IPA. 

So, all in all, use this one as a bittering or FW hop and maybe in small amounts to boost spicey components or increase the dank resin factor in your finishing hops. 

Cheers to all!

Brewinhard

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 08:20:23 am »
Thanks for the feedback!
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer