Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone use cocoa from Crio Bru?  (Read 1004 times)

Offline 3bbrewing

• Retailers
  • Cellarman
  • San Diego, CA
Anyone use cocoa from Crio Bru?
« on: April 20, 2015, 05:07:45 pm »
Greetings everyone...

I am making a chocolate cherry stout and was looking for something different to try vs. the same nibs etc. that everyone tends to use.  I came across this product at a local grocery and gave it a try:  www.criobru.com  They have a few different flavors.  I chose the Cavalla since it was just cocoa wtihout any spices etc. added to the mix. 

I made some for myself to taste using a French press.  I found that it has a really intense "milk chocolate" aroma that I really liked.  Flavor-wise, it had a strong cocoa flavor that was very pleasant; "chocolatey", non-bitter, and smooth.  Body-wise it was very thin and light.  With the amount of cocoa aroma, I expected a much fuller body akin to a hot chocolate drink or something similar.

I decided to go ahead and use it.  It's a 3 gallon AG batch.  I racked it to a sanitized fermenter  and added the tart cherries. I also brewed up a 2.5 oz pack of their Cavalla using the French press and added it to taste in the stout.  I'm going to let it sit on the cherries/chocolate for 5-7 days and give it another taste and adjust as needed. 

« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 05:17:16 pm by 3bbrewing »
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~