Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentation Chamber, won't stop running  (Read 2769 times)

Online tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Fermentation Chamber, won't stop running
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 09:16:24 pm »
The freezer doesn't know about the controller. It is on or off.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 09:17:07 pm »
Alestateyall is correct. I didn't even think about that. Plug the freezer into the wall and see if the walls get cold. By cold I mean very cold, not slightly cold.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2015, 09:19:43 pm »
Ya the freezer is running but its going through the controller. So the temperature should reach 62 inside the freezer and cut off. However it just keeps running. Correct, if the freezer was plugged straight into the wall, bypassing my controller, everything should be frozen, but thats not what Im doing. Sorry, im not too sure how i explained this so funky. Im sure i used inappropriate terminology.

I don't think terminology is your issue.  If the freezer runs, it's running.  If it never gets to freezing temperatures after running for 24 hours, the controller is not your problem.

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 09:20:08 pm »
I see..... Sigh, thanks.
Cheers from Austin, Tejas!

Offline Stevie

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2015, 09:22:39 pm »
Costco has a decent Danby 7.1 for around $160. Holds two better bottles without issue.

Offline breweite

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 09:23:05 pm »
Alestateyall is correct. I didn't even think about that. Plug the freezer into the wall and see if the walls get cold. By cold I mean very cold, not slightly cold.
Wow, yeah... Took way to long. Thanks so much for hanging in there with me. That wasnt clicking at all...
Cheers from Austin, Tejas!

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2015, 08:53:24 am »
Well, at least now you can start looking for a solution to your problem.  A new (or at least new to you) chest freezer seems to be in your future.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2015, 12:02:48 pm »
could also be that the compressor is frozen up?

I've had a few instances where I needed to defrost my stand up freezer/fermentation chamber.  they would take forever to chill down - when I took off the back cover/wall, the coils were caked in solid ice...
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2015, 11:14:15 am »
Very possible it's just the compressor frozen up.  If that's not it, though, replacing a used chest freezer with a used chest freezer is generally the same price as replacing a compressor in a used chest freezer.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2015, 02:00:11 pm »

Very possible it's just the compressor frozen up.  If that's not it, though, replacing a used chest freezer with a used chest freezer is generally the same price as replacing a compressor in a used chest freezer.
If your lucky! The cost to repair chest freezers doesn't become worth it until you get to the larger sizes that run $500+ new and $300+ used. When I moved to Texas the moving company damaged the lid of my ferm freezer to the point that one corner would seal. The gave me $30 for my trouble. The cost of a new lid was $160, while I payed $200 for the freezer new. Cost of gently bending the lid back to shape = free