Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 100% pils malt. Too light?  (Read 10367 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
100% pils malt. Too light?
« on: April 21, 2015, 04:11:35 pm »
I am planning a lager to brew in the next couple of days with 100% schill pilsner malt. It is listed between 1.4 - 1.8 L and the beer is calculated to be 3.3 SRM based on 1.6L. I just kegged an American Wheat with 50% pilsner and is calculated at 3.8 SRM. That beer has not clarified but it appears a lot lighter than the calculation and probably the lightest colored beer I have made.

From a color perspective, should I be concerned with using 100% pilsner? I know that it is commonplace but am just curious what kind of results others have gotten.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Jimmy K

• Delaware
Re: 100% pils malt. Too light?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 04:21:29 pm »
I had a 100% pils pilsner at a competition and it was great color wise
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 04:27:21 pm »
I just made an all Best pils German pils. Makes a spot on looking German pils . Pretty tasty, too.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 04:31:24 pm »
Best pils appears to be a bit darker than schill. I suppose I should just go for it. My wheat would give a good ballpark if it was more clear. Maybe in a couple of more days...

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 05:16:22 pm »
I made a 100% Best pilsner also. It is really light, and before it cleared up it had an almost green tint to it. I will see if I can take a picture of a pint and post.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 05:21:09 pm »
I made a 100% Best pilsner also. It is really light, and before it cleared up it had an almost green tint to it. I will see if I can take a picture of a pint and post.

That would be great if you are able. I know I am over thinking it. If I can't get it to drop crystal clear I am worried it will end up looking like dishwater...haha

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 05:37:47 pm »

That would be great if you are able. I know I am over thinking it. If I can't get it to drop crystal clear I am worried it will end up looking like dishwater...haha

Watch your pH, lager really cold, and fine if necessary and it'll get as clear as any other lager. In other words, no more worries about clarity using all pils than any other beer.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 06:39:53 pm »
My 6 gallon batch of Pilsner was 100% Avangard Pils malt. Beersmith says 3.0 and I have not tried to compare to a color chart but it is very light. It has not finished lagering yet, but is already one of the tastiest brews I have made. I say go for it, but I have not used any Schill malt in my brewing yet
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 03:24:02 pm »
I just made an all Best pils German pils. Makes a spot on looking German pils . Pretty tasty, too.

Mine too, with mittelfruh hops and S-34/70. I was quite happy with it and wish it wasn't all gone.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 03:32:22 pm »

Mine too, with mittelfruh hops and S-34/70. I was quite happy with it and wish it wasn't all gone.

Yep, mine never lasts long.
Jon H.

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 05:28:35 pm »
100% Pils malt is delicious! I'm a huge fan of Franco-Belges Belgian Pils, even for German styles.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 09:37:29 pm »
I think color is overrated.  I think you can do a lot with mash profile, yeast type and fermentation regimen.  I like both Best Malz, Avengard and Weyermann malts for German Pils style beer.  Don't worry about SRM unless it is about scoring in a comp.  Even then, if it has a good malt character, it will outscore even a perfect appearance beer that lacks the crisp and malty flavor profile required.  I love a good pils.  Most beer drinkers do.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 07:08:58 am »
Thanks all. I tend to get obsessive about small details right before a brew session. I will go forward as planned and hope to have a delicious beer. Using sterling and crystal hops with W34/70 yeast.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 07:59:37 am »
Watch your pH

Don't lose sight of this ^^^.  Mash pH tends to be quite high with 100% pilsner malt beers.  You might get 5.8 or even higher, but you really need to get this down to 5.5 at the most.  The best way to do this is by adding food grade acid, or acidulated malt.  With acid (I use powdered), stir in just tiny amounts like 1/2 or even 1/4 teaspoon at a time, and keep on testing pH until it comes out right at 5.3-5.5.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 08:21:51 am »
Watch your pH

Don't lose sight of this ^^^.  Mash pH tends to be quite high with 100% pilsner malt beers.  You might get 5.8 or even higher, but you really need to get this down to 5.5 at the most.  The best way to do this is by adding food grade acid, or acidulated malt.  With acid (I use powdered), stir in just tiny amounts like 1/2 or even 1/4 teaspoon at a time, and keep on testing pH until it comes out right at 5.3-5.5.

I am shooting for a ph of 5.35 using gypsum, calcium chloride, and lactic acid for water adjustments.