Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Briess malts in Bay Area?  (Read 1662 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Briess malts in Bay Area?
« on: May 22, 2010, 07:04:54 am »
This started as a recipe-thread discussion about cloning Bell's Two-Hearted Ale. I have been unable to find Briess Munich malt in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've tried Brewcraft, Oak Barrel Winecraft, and both Morebeer showrooms (Los Altos and Concord). Am I missing any local stores? (Seven Bridges is a little far--at that point I might as well mail-order.)

I'm not losing any sleep over this... I can always try another brand or mail-order some grain... was just surprised to find how hard it was to get a particular grain in this area.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
Re: Briess malts in Bay Area?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 10:56:43 am »
I usually use buying grain as the excuse to make the pilgrimage to Santa Cruz  :) (especially during the summer concert series at the Boardwalk), so I tend to stick with Seven Bridges.

The Briess website lists:

Brewmaster (Homebrew Shops)
2315 Verna Ct
San Leandro, CA 94577
Tel. 510.351.8920
Fax. 510.351.4090

They have a good retail store (not a good retail website).  You might try calling them.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 12:57:41 pm »
Thanks! (And I agree on any excuse to go to Santa Cruz!)
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 02:27:21 pm »
I seem to have the opposite problem.  The two closest LHBS to me seem to carry Briess malts almost exclusively - with a few exceptions.  Fortunately, there's a shop a little farther away (about 45 minutes) that carries better variety and fresher yeast.  I sometimes have to go near the farther shop for work so, with a little planning, I can get what I need.  Even so, I still end up mail-ordering ingredients from time to time.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!