Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whole hops advice  (Read 938 times)

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
Whole hops advice
« on: April 30, 2015, 05:20:24 pm »
Hi...getting ready for big brew tomorrow and looking for some quick advice on using whole hops.

I usually use a hop spider on brew day but tomorrow is my first time using whole hops. Anyone have any experience using whole hops with a hop spider?

Good?  Bad? In different?
I brew beer, I drink beer...it really is that simple

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
Re: Whole hops advice
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 05:22:58 pm »
Meant Saturday. ..not tomorrow.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 07:11:53 pm »
I use a hop spider when I use pellets, but when using whole hops I just throw them in. I put a copper chore boy over the dip tube in my kettle, and the loose hop bed acts as a filter for the trub. Whole hops, being coarser than pellets, will not clog a loose filter like the chore boy.

When I use my smaller kettle I throw the whole hops right in as well as they will not clog the strainer through which I then pour the finished wort into the fermenter. So, I guess it depends on your equipment.

Finally, if you do  use the spider and whole hops you will probably suffer a 10% loss of hop utilization over all, same as if you used pellets with the spider.

How do you transfer the wort to the fermenter?
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline hmbrewing

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 08:01:22 pm »
Awesome. ..thanks for the info! I have a ball valve on my kettle so I just open the valve and pour into my fermenter.

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 07:00:40 am »
Awesome. ..thanks for the info! I have a ball valve on my kettle so I just open the valve and pour into my fermenter.

So, if you have a dip tube, you can just form the copper cleaning pad over it, and you can just pour as usual, no spider needed. Or, if you have a false bottom on your kettle you can just throw them in.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'